Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default content protection

Is there a way to remove the 'content protection' on wma files??

Super Moderator

If this is content you created from your own music collection, you might want to re-rip these, and encode them using something other than WMP. So that this time there is no DRM applied to the music files.
    As far as I am aware, there is no program which will remove the DRM from the file. Its likely that the protection is similar to file encryption, Which simply can not be "removed" but must be decoded with the proper key.

A solution would be to re-record the music using another program.
    If your sound card can do full duplex, then it may be possible for you to play the song via 'WMP' and record it via something like 'CoolEdit.'

Administrator

your description is a little vague but perhaps this may fit the bill http://www.wma-convert.com/index.php?add=google1
    simply me

Beta

Good sound quality is at 128k or 192, If you have any files not on either one of them you can fix them, I use switch http://nch.com.au/switch/index.html

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 98SE View Post
    Good sound quality is at 128k or 192, If you have any files not on either one of them you can fix them, I use switch http://nch.com.au/switch/index.html
    Transcoding an already encoded mp3 from one bitrate to another is not going to improve the quality of the sound. Yes, you would change the bitrate to one that is "better" but you will be discarding yet more information from the file, thus further degrading the overall quality.

128kbps MP3's do not sound all that good either. I would consider it acceptable for most songs for on-the-go playing.

If you need the best quality you can get thats compressed, then opt for a lossless codec. But since few people own hardware for playing such then next best would be MP4.

Default disclaimer

The music flies I downloaded are legal (from walmart, I found a gift card) and they come with a content protection that will not allow the files to be transfered to my mp3 player. Switch did not work, saying it could not be opened due to Digital Rights Management. Thanks

Release Candiate 1

You downloaded from there website are they mp3 or wma. I would just give it up wanna download same songs use Shareaza

There is an option in WMP that will allow you to "COPY PROTECT FILES" or not to when writing data........

Release Candiate 1

copy to disc