Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    merry man

i have an old brother pc , it was running windows 95 but had a few problems so i thought i would just reinstall the windows software, i have used f disc and have formatted the hard drive no problem, but when i try and install windows 95 it starts ok and gets to about 60percent and then i get this reocurring problem, the computer has i think got a power saving mode of some description and its as if it goes into like a sleep mode, when i press a key on the keyboard to wake it up the monitor fires up again and then the hard drive can be heard to start up again as if its going to carry on, but then gives an error message that windows was interrupted whilst copying a windows cab file and you cannot get it to carry on, i thought sleep mode or hibernate as its called was done through the software or is it done in the bios settings? i have never come across this before and was unaware of this type of mode in windows 95, any ideas on a cure or should i give the garbage collector a treat? any pointers well appreciated

Super Moderator

The Bios *could* have a power management mode, APM maybe?, but being a brother PC, that has to be older. I am not sure on the BIOS settings, but worth looking into.
    Depending on how much disk space the Brother PC has, maybe you should copy all the setup files (*cabs) to a folder on the HD, then run the install from there. it might speed installation up some.
    Are you installing via floppys?

merry man

the installation is being done from the cd rom drive,im now thinking it must be in the bios settings because the chap has told me that it has always shutdown or hibernated after a short while since he owned it, if in the bios settings , any idea what it would be listed as ?

Are you asking how to get into the BIOS?

During the boot process there will be a few moments between the memory check and the OS loading when you can press a certain key to stop the boot and enter the BIOS. Often there will be a message displayed telling you the key or combination of keys to use. (ie. F8 or F4 or Esc).

If there's no message and you don't have the documentation, see the manufacturer's website and hope your machine is still supported (or just try different stuff).

Once you get into the BIOS, look around and get familiar with the settings, before you change anything. Make changes with caution and make notes of anything you change. If you mess anything up, you want to be able to put it back the way it was.

merry man

no pete sorry, i can get into the bios no problem, ive done this on many machines when adding extra hard drives etc, i just havent come across this particular problem before of a machine going into hibernate mode whilst im installing windows, and dont really know wot to alter or wot it be under if it is something in the bios settings that is causing it .

Super Moderator

If the system is operating, it should not power down while under a load. Under the BIOS look for either APM, or ACPI.
    Was there any additional peripherals added to the system? maybe the power supply is unable to handle the load. remove any peripherals not needed, such as modems, if your using a LAN.
    Hibernation, i do not believe is a BIOS feature, its a MS WINDOWS feature.
    Did you partition and format the hard drive before attempting to install? Do you have the old system still on and trying to install overtop the older installtion?
    this might be running out of space on the HD. and shutting down.
    try installing on a clean, re formated HD.
    Is this a desktop model or a laptop?

AnJellyCue

Look in the bios for a starter, goto Power managment if it a award bios, and disable power managment, if it is a laptop id goto the manafaturer's website and look at their FAQ to see if anyone else has has this problem,

Also, I would look at technet
    Microsoft Technet

windows 95 is a pain, i have it on a Laptop

Hope you solve your problem

merry man

git it!, it was the power management in the bios, i disabled it and it installed first time no problems,cheers for the help,

TheBulbasaurfreak

Always here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by merry man View Post
    i have an old brother pc , it was running windows 95 but had a few problems so i thought i would just reinstall the windows software, i have used f disc and have formatted the hard drive no problem, but when i try and install windows 95 it starts ok and gets to about 60percent and then i get this reocurring problem, the computer has i think got a power saving mode of some description and its as if it goes into like a sleep mode, when i press a key on the keyboard to wake it up the monitor fires up again and then the hard drive can be heard to start up again as if its going to carry on, but then gives an error message that windows was interrupted whilst copying a windows cab file and you cannot get it to carry on, i thought sleep mode or hibernate as its called was done through the software or is it done in the bios settings? i have never come across this before and was unaware of this type of mode in windows 95, any ideas on a cure or should i give the garbage collector a treat? any pointers well appreciated
    i have the same problem in the past and i found out the cd was scratched try another cd for windows