Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

hello people, i have a dvd rom which has a program i really like it was a disc i purchased attached to a magazine, i installed it on my computer no problem but would also like it installed on my second pc but it doesnt have a dvd rom drive is there anyway i could put it onto a cdr so that my second pc will install it, it will save me swopping my drives about just to get the job done, many thanks in advance for any help given

Network your computers.

There is more than one way to do this, but most require you to buy (at least) some sort of cable. Then both computers can be given access to each other's drives by enabling sharing on the appropiate drive(s).

More than you'll ever need to know about networking at:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/contact.htm

If both computers have ethernet ports, you can network two computers without a hub with a "crossover cable". If you don't have ethernet ports on both machines look for the options for "direct cable connection" for the kind of ports you have. ie. parallel, serial, USB & etc.

BTW: For security reasons, it may be wise to do the sharing while you are offline, and then stop sharing before you go back online.

Super Moderator

Networking is a great option. I've several systems networked, which is used for distributed compiling of software, so i can use all processors to aid in compiling a program.
    Being able to burn to a DVD drive from a system which lacks one, is great also, so is building a software repository, where all systems just have to install from a single host.
    If the systems are networked, just enable the file sharing, and make sure to enable the DVD to be shared.
    If your running a firewall before your systems, such as a firewalling router, then your should be ok leaving the file sharing enabled as long as the ports are blocked. If your running a software firewall, just disable incoming UDP connections on ports 135-139,445 via [outside interface].
    Otherwise just enable when needed, log out, log back in, and you can share once more.

If your have yet to network your systems. Just copy the program to the harddrive, and burn to a CD, use a CDRW, less waste. This is if the software title is small enough (less than 700 megs), most are. You can copy the executable and paste into a folder, then add the program in your compilation. Then record the compilation and install on the other box.

As Pete states, if your only planning to connect 2 computers, and they are close to each other, use a 'cross-over' cable, its cheaper than a switch. Its just a ethernet cable with some wires crossed-over.
    If your planning to add more than 2 systems. Then buy a switch, its better than using a hub. you do not need to use a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    hello people, i have a dvd rom which has a program i really like it was a disc i purchased attached to a magazine, i installed it on my computer no problem but would also like it installed on my second pc but it doesnt have a dvd rom drive is there anyway i could put it onto a cdr so that my second pc will install it, it will save me swopping my drives about just to get the job done, many thanks in advance for any help given
    chances are it won't work
    tmm5899

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tmm5899 View Post
    chances are it won't work
    tmm5899
    chances are it could be done,but as the post is so old i would guess you are not around any more
    Last edited by the gaffer; 06-01-2007 at 02:49 AM.
    simply me