Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Release Candiate 1

I been selling and buying from ebay for 5 years. I have a good record on my account.
    Last edited by the gaffer; 05-23-2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: threads merged

Default windows 98se problem

a friend has a computer that worked and he changed to a different monitor and it did not start up correctly so he switched back to the original monitor and that did not work what can he do to fix this problem. his computer will not start up in windows it did before he changed the monitor he did not remove any thing such as programs he just unhooked one monitor and hooked up another one and then switched them back it had started up with windows 98 i have the cd but when i put the cd in and turn the computer on it says invalid system disk any help would be appreciated

Administrator

is this the same pc you are refering to in your other post regarding the disconnected ide cables ?if it is then you most likely have the wrong cable in the hard drive,a pc will not boot from the cd rom unless you tell the bios to do so,just changing a monitor will not stop a pc from booting up,and i am presuming this is the same pc your friend has been mesing with ?
    simply me

He might be able to RESTORE HIS REGISTRY and then bootup WITH THE ORIGINAL MONITOR ONLINE!! (Restore to a point before he changed monitors)

Good luck!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    He might be able to RESTORE HIS REGISTRY and then bootup WITH THE ORIGINAL MONITOR ONLINE!! (Restore to a point before he changed monitors)

Good luck!
    the monitor should make no difference to the pc booting,invalid system disk is an error message meaning it cannot find any boot files,which is why i refered to his other post regarding the computer cables being disconnected,ie is this refering to the same pc,if i remember correctly dude win 98 didnt have a system restore ? so unless he has his own backups then he is stuck just a tad.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Windows ME was first to offer a restore point. Windows 98se only had the user option of making a backup of the system then restoring from a backup.

Sometimes, changing a monitor can cause an issue with the display resolution. But the system should still boot but you may not be able to have a viewable screen. As the resolution settings might not work with the different monitor.
    Solution would be boot up in safe mode, fix the adapter and monitor issues.

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by tmm5899 View Post
    [...] i have the cd but when i put the cd in and turn the computer on it says invalid system disk[...]
    Is there a floppy in the drive ? :hmm:
    If not, are you sure the boot sequence in the BIOS' Setup states that it should try booting from the CD before attempting to boot from HD ?
    Are you sure this is a genuine Windows CD ? Should be bootable and make no problem ...

Default win 98 startup problem

sounds like whilst your friend was changing over the monitor he has knocked the cpu base and the ide ribbon cable(s) have probably become slightly disconnected from the hard drives.

open up the machine. pull out and plug back in the ide cable(s). switch on.

Beta

That's a possibility too ^^

Quote Originally Posted by willabong
    sounds like whilst your friend was changing over the monitor he has knocked the cpu base and the ide ribbon cable(s) have probably become slightly disconnected from the hard drives.

open up the machine. pull out and plug back in the ide cable(s). switch on.
    Welcome ashore my friend