Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator

it would take quite a rough monitor change to dislodge a ribbon cable seeing as many i have come across where people have ruined the connectors from trying to pull them out as they are real tight.i would of thought if the pc is booting up to displaying invalid system disc then it would suggest it finds the hard drive but no boot files on it,which would suggest corruption or hard disk fault.hopefully the op will let us know what it was when the problem is solved.
    simply me

Default windows strt up problem

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    seems strange a change of monitor would cause such a problem ?what error message do you get when trying to start it,you could try starting it in safe mode,on start up after the post and diagnostics check start pressing the F8 key ,when the start up menu appears choose safe mode.obviously from there you could run diagnostics and recover your cd key.alternately you could check out sites such as ebay.com or recycledsoftware.com and purchase a new copy of 98se they are only a small cost now.
    it won't start in safe mode also it won't start in windows either what can i do to fix this i have a cd for windows 98 but i can not boot the computer to get the hard drove reformated to reinstall windows how can i get it to where it will reformat

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tmm5899 View Post
    it won't start in safe mode also it won't start in windows either what can i do to fix this i have a cd for windows 98 but i can not boot the computer to get the hard drove reformated to reinstall windows how can i get it to where it will reformat
    if it will not start in safe mode then you will have to boot the pc from the cd rom drive.first you will have to set the cd rom drive as the first boot device in the systems bios,if you are unfamiliar with installing windows and setting the bios etc,then i suggest you get someone in the know or a shop to install it for you.
    simply me