Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What replaced RAM Doubler??

Way back in '95... Connectix released a utility called RAM Doubler for Windows 3.1x... and if I remember correctly it was actually one of the few "ram doubling" products that actually accomplished anything (I swore by it at the time, wish I had benchmarks to prove it)... ANYWAY, it didn't work with Windows 95 so they eventually released a product "update" that was designed for Win95... but the new product for Win95 had a different name (because it didn't work the same way as the original)... but it was useful nonetheless as it identified and reclaimed memory leaks that Win95 wouldn't reclaim. So after all that, my question is, does anyone remember what the product for Windows 95 was called?

Release Candiate 1

Sorry I dont know that one, however I do have program to free up windows memory however there is a down side doing that.

How much memory do you have, Windows 95 you must have simm's memory chips Huh the classic type

Administrator

if members here do not know or are unable to help you could always try bysoft freeram
    or one of the other listed here http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfin...st=recover+ram
    simply me

Beta

From Source
    'Freeing up memory' consists of taking away memory from processes that may or may not have use for the memory, and then having that memory not be used for anything.

In other words:

1. It does no good - unused memory cannot help anything run, because (d'oh) it is not being used.

2. It might reduce performance - if something really was using the memory, the contents of evicted pages will neeed to be read back into memory. i.e., you just caused disk IO that would not have been needed.

I suppose that the reason that people think that 'free memory' is good to have, is that it is somehow 'available' for future use. Sure, but so is the memory that is not free - the OS can take away memory from one process and give it to another.

There's no point in taking memory away from a process until you have some other need for it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1670

Administrator

I suppose that the reason that people think that 'free memory' is good to have, is that it is somehow 'available' for future use. Sure, but so is the memory that is not free - the OS can take away memory from one process and give it to another.

There's no point in taking memory away from a process until you have some other need for it.

yeah right,and we all know that windows is brilliant at handling memory.windows m.e especially being well known for not recovering and using ram efficiently.
    simply me

Beta

Programs today are useless, todays computers are more memory

Default Thanks

First thanks for all of the replies... memory isn't an issue as the PC in question has 192 installed... as for the references to the current "generation" of memory "freeing" applications (that just swap as much as possible to the hard drive causing your computer to go slower, at least temporarily, and never truly faster) I'm not interested in those. Like I mentioned in my post, RAM Doubler for Win95 did something that was actually useful at the time... and that was reclaim memory that was lost to memory LEAKS and never reclaimed by the OS itself (lets face it, 95 wasn't the smartest). This isn't so much an issue in modern NT based systems, hence the reason we don't see these types of applications anymore. And I'm not wanting it for the purpose of potential or perceived speed improvements but rather for an experiment which I'm trying to accomplish. Its not a huge issue... just a curiousity... thanks for your time.

Administrator

had a dig through some pages on the wayback machine and can find references to their programs as ram doubler and speed doubler but cannot find any downloads on the web,heres the pages for connectix that are on the wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.connectix.com
    simply me

The last updater I know of is RAM Doubler for Windows 1.12 Updater ftp://ftp.accesscom.com/pub/win/util/RDW112.EXE I've never used it though, don't know anything about any name change.

here you go tridian http://www.lowtek.com/maxram/rd.html
    that's got the original links to the Connectix website.