Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default I Tunes Help, Cd's Sound Scratchy And Skip Or Dont Work, Help

Hello,
    I am using Itunes 7.02 and am having a problem, I actually had this same problem with an older version of Itunes about 6 months ago on an older system as well. Whenever I burn CD's they get screwed up. Usually not all of the tracks will play and the ones that do (usually past track 4 or 5) will either skip alot or be of very low sound quality. I used to have an HP ZD7000 notebook and this happend about 6 months ago, well in the past 2 months I got a new Gateway notebook and the new version of Itunes and the same thing is happening again. Anyone have any ideas, the problem might involve the fact that the tracks were downloaded as mp3's through bitlord, could Itunes have a problem becuse of this, I really don't get it as I have my entire library on itunes and don't know how to burn any cd's, any ideas?

Release Candiate 1

Bitrate 41000hz or 128kb is best or 192kbs both sounds great.

160kbs don't sound great and over 192kb is to high for sound,there be no bass just hard on ears so make sure you download mp3s 128/192kbs or use tool to covert them.

The skip could be the music file check it out may not be itunes, problem fixed if it was just the mp3 file.

If not then this be first I seen post about itunes burning music and skips under v7.

Super Moderator

I am not picking on your Windows_98se. Though it may appear as such. I am just clearing up some details in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 2000 SP4 View Post
    Bitrate 41000hz
    This is not the bitrate. 44,1000 is the hertz, AKA 44.1khz. which is kilohertz. This is the actual frequency the waveform is sampled at. For example. a 1kHz musical tone would have 44.1 samples taken of its waveform as it oscilates at 10,000 waveforms per second.
    Compact Disks make use of 16bits 44.1kHz samplings. DVD Audio uses 24bit 96kHz sampling.

Anyways.

Bitrate 41000hz or 128kb is best or 192kbs both sounds great.

160kbs don't sound great and over 192kb is to high for sound,
    Interesting, but not true. The more bits you encode at, the better the sound will be. But to state that 128 & 192 sound good, but 160 doesn't. That's illogical.

192 is NOT in anyways too high for sound. The bitrate has nothing to do with sound. You're confusing the sampling or bit word's, with the encoding bitrates. Those are very different subjects and not related.

The music that is encoded still remains at 16bit & 44.1kHz regardless of the bitrate the music is encoded at. The higher the bitrate you chose when encoding the more bits you have for encoding the music. So the higher the bitrate the less loss of data there will be.

over 192kb is to high for sound,there be no bass
    Not true. If you have music thats encoded over 193kbps and there is no bass, that may be a result of someone using a bandpass filter. But it does not have anything to do with how many bits you encoded the piece with.

Infact. Most "MP3 audiophiles" encoded all their music over 320kbps.
    Also. DVD audio tracks which make use of DolbyDigital, aka AC3, encode the entire audio portion of movies at 448kbps.

128/192kbs or use tool to covert them.
    If you convert the music you will be further degrading the piece. So it is not wise to keep transcoding your music.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HATER_ View Post
    Hello,
    I am using Itunes 7.02 and am having a problem,
    It is possible that the mp3's you downloaded were corrupted, so when you burnt them to a CD for playback they are unable to play. Also. if your mp3 player does not support VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoded mp3's. It will not playback those files. Not all hardware mp3 players can handle VBR encoded mp3's.

If you are creating an Audio CD from the downloaded mp3's. It is possible that the decoder you are using to convert them from mp3 to wav files is unable to process the VBR's. Though that is unlikely. The problem might be corrupted mp3's. Which is common on P2P networks.

As for the low volume of the CD's. That is likely a result of the mp3 being encoded with no normalization. But if you mean the fidelity of the sound is low quality. You may not understand what mp3 is afterall.

Mp3 is a compression. Lossy at that. Which means when you encode a music track of High Quality, you get back a Lower Quality output. This is how you are able to download music.

The music on a CD, when ripped is a large file, sometimes 30megs in size. Encoding the song via mp3 compression reduces the filesize down from 30megabytes to a more manageable 3-4megs. But to achieve this, some data must be tossed out.
    This is where bitrates come into play. The more bits you encode your song with, the better the sound quality will be, but also, the larger the file will become. Lower bitrates equal smaller filesizes and lower quality.

As for your dilemmia. It sounds to me like everything is doing what it is supposed to be. It does not seem like you have a problem with any of the software. The problem is infact with the mp3's you downloaded.

What you can do is try encoding your purchased CD's via iTunes to see if the above issue surface. This way you can eliminate the possibilities that the problem lays with your downloaded music or not.

When you encode your music from the CD. Pick a decent bitrate for mp3 encoding, such as 192kbps. If you opt for the more advanced encoder - AAC (MP4 audio), which offers lower filesizes and better quality than MP3, just be aware it takes more time to encode M4A (MP4) than mp3, and you may not be able to playback or decode the MP4 music on other devices.