Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A small and fast mpeg player?

hi,

I am searching for a small mpeg player that is very fast. Windows media player and
    vlc player are too large and take too much CPU power.

Irfanview with its plugin does a very good job. Unfortunately,
    the movie pauses in the final frame for nearly a second before starting the loop again.
    As you might have guessed by now, iam looking for a player that seemlessly loops a movie. Please suggest me a few.

-langenfeld

Super Moderator

Not sure what you will be defining as "small," by Mplayer is about 10megs.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

You may also want the binary codec package, you can install those you want, and delete those you don't want. It usually comes as a zip file

By small i meant a few megabytes or even lower. But iam willing to use larger programs provided they offer fast playback. Thanks for the link. I will give this a try.

Release Candiate 1

Is your computer slow???????? You said it plays movies or file but stops on last frame You might have too much programs running in background. I was gonna say you might not have all the codes but if there is sound and pic your all set

Yes the process is a little slow, although RAM is somewaht ok at 256 MB. Irfanview
    is the fastest i have tried so far and ffdshow codec didn't work as advertised..please
    flood in your suggestions for players and codecs!

Administrator

you could as others have said just have too many background apps running,there are some good tyips i found in this existing thread that may help by freeing up things a little http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showt...highlight=slow the player locustfurnace suggested should run fine, but if there are too many other apps running as well then you will experience hang ups.
    simply me

Beta

Hmm I had speed issues reading some movies on my older PC (K6-2 @ 500 MHz, 192 MB RAM...) under windows 98 ; then I used Knoppix LiveCD and videos read smoother... I think the player's name was something like Xine. I was quite surprised for it to run better from a live CD than from my main OS, installed on HD...

hi,

Thanks to constance and gaffer for the suggestions. That thread is very helpful and did learn a lot of new stuff there. Iam seriously considering installing windows95... knowing pretty well that one needs to install win2k(which is what i currently use) after it again.
    All i do with the computer is browse the net, listen to music and watch movies, surely windows95 can do it faster. What are the flaws of windows 95?. On a side note, did try lighter versions of linux like damn small linux and didn't like it.

Administrator

there are not too many flaws in windows 95 that you should worry about if you are only surfing the net etc,your main issue will be the age of your hardware compared to the os regarding drivers etc.the older win 95 might struggle to find drivers if your hardware was say made in 1999 if your hardware was made in 1999 or after then i would suggest win 98, i am currently using in a spare room a pc that was made 1999 and had win 98 installed,although i changed it to windows m.e purely because i prefer it and drivers i think with win m.e are less of an issue, lots do not like it but i prefer windows m.e just as many prefer 98se,i would advise using apps such as belarc advisor etc to list your hardware and print or write out the details for your hardware you then have a reference sheet when it comes to finding the drivers you will need or you could indeed see if drivers are available before you decide to change your operating system.
    simply me

Hi Gaffer,

Thank you for the information. After a bit of reading, i discover that win9x is quite vlnerable in addition to the driver problem you mentioned. Is there anyway you can reduce or eliminate the vulnerability in win9x versions?