Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default iTunes corupted LAN ?

Hi, I'm new on here.
    I have this serious problem I deperately need help with:

I'm running this old clunker (up 'till recently fairly sucessfully) a Pentium III at 800 with win 2000 SP4.
    I stupidly loaded iTunes 7 and found it a real hog with my resources and it took forever to load so I decided to uninstall it and go back to and older version I liked.
    I encountered some of the same problems some people on this board discribed in previous threads with it not wanting to load my library again.
    I realized that even after the uninstall iTunes left a lot of files in my registry; like the idiot that I am I went and removed them.
    After that my LAN and with it my High Speed stopped funtioning.
    I finally got it back afeter a full day of messing around, restoring the registry to a previous backup and running a system repair off my win 2000 disk.
    So what do I do ?
    I go and install iTunes 7 again (which used to run, but slow)
    So now my LAN stopped working again and neither the registry restore nor the system repair fixed it this time.
    Short of reinstalling windows, any suggestion ???

Help, please.

Release Candiate 1

Hello! Im not sure whats wrong with your computer. Maybe it helps to run WinSock Fix...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Good luck!

Super Moderator

Not sure why uninstalling iTunes has any connection to your Network settings.
    You might just try reconfiguring your network first. Follow the setup procedure you were given when you signed up for the service.
    But most likely you should really only need to configure your device to use DHCP.

If you get things working again, install iTunes 6.

Release Candiate 1

There are trojans and spyware bugs that can effect your internet connection, maybe you should get windows sp4 with all windows updates, Also run spyboat and ad=aware for any bugs.

Also you might wanna disable some startup items you dont need.

One more thing if you do have spyboat installed or any other program that you can see what's up for startup well all these system.ini has no meaning to windows 2000 they should be uncheck.

I had SP4 and did spy/virus scans the day before. LAN settings were correct.
    No go.

I finally grew too frustrated and wiped my drive and reinstalled windows.
    Funny thing is after I reinstalled iTunes (on a freshly formated drive) the same thing happend.
    There must be some kind of software conflict.

I'm going to try this one more time and if it doesn't work I'll either drop iTunes or drop windows altogether.
    I'm curently typing this on a bootup off a live LINUX CD and I kind of like it.
    Anyone know a good simple reliable iTunes alternative where you can save playlist or even better import iTunes playlists, save volume settings etc?

Thanks for the responses so far.
    I'll let ya's know how this turns out.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xela View Post
    Funny thing is after I reinstalled iTunes (on a freshly formated drive) the same thing happend.
    Odd. Did you install iTunes from the CD/DVD or a download?

I'm curently typing this on a bootup off a live LINUX CD and I kind of like it.
    I run Slackware Linux. If I need to access my iPod via this os, I make use of gtkpod.

Anyone know a good simple reliable iTunes alternative where you can save playlist or even better import iTunes playlists, save volume settings etc?
    Can try and see if Anapod will work for you.

Anapod Explorer, our flagship iPod product, is composed of Anapod Explorer itself, Anapod CopyGear, and Anapod PhotoSync.
    Anapod is the most advanced Windows iPod software available, offering iPod management through full Windows Explorer integration under My Computer, easy drag and drop iPod copy, iPod transfer and iPod backup, PDA function support, photo and video transfer, web page interface access to your iPod through a built-in web server, powerful search and reporting capabilities using a built-in SQL database, and much more, all in one compact package.
    A great backup tool or iTunes alternative.