Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WMP rip settings - WAV file format?

Yesterday, I rooted around in this forum for hours, and I must congratulate everyone on the warm attitude and illuminating experience that prevails here.

Anyways, after weeks of fruitless searching, you guys might be the last/best/only hope of finding out:

Which of the earlier versions of Windows Media Player offers the ability to rip and burn CDRs in WAV format?

Due to my own ignorance, I've allowed myself to be "progressively bumped up" (!?) to WMP 10, and, as you know, it doesn't do WAV.
    Thanks to your guidance, I have no intention of installing WMP 11 (although it does offer WAV).

The ability to play a common rental-type DVD movie would be welcome, but
    I have no need for any mp3 capability.

At present, I'm using Windows XP Professional (version 2002) / SP2
    with
    WMP version 10.00.00.4036 installed.

What would you suggest and/or recommend ?

Beta

Well, to rip CDs to wav I'd use CDex, and to burn from wav to audio CD, DeepBurner Free. So you don't bother having to keep a particular version of WMP.

Thanks for your quick response and good advice, Constance However, I'd prefer to possibly revert to an older version of WMP, if it will perform the few simple tasks I ask of it like being able to rip and burn in wav, with a minimum of extras.
    That's why my main question was:
    "Which of the earlier versions of Windows Media Player offers the ability to rip and burn CDRs in WAV format?"

Release Candiate 1

So you have very large music files in WAV, if they where mp3 file be small and sound be great.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 2000 SP4 View Post
    So you have very large music files in WAV, if they where mp3 file be small and sound be great.
    the op stated in his post he didnt need any mp3 ability and obviously as he already stated he wants to burn them in in wav format.
    simply me

If any of you that have a version of Windows Media Player prior to "10" would care to help, here's a stone simple way to find the info we're looking for:

1) - open the player
    2) - click on "Tools"
    3) - click on "Options"
    4) - click on "Rip Music"
    5) - under "Rip Settings" is a selectable box for "Format"
    6) - is the option "wav" listed there? If the answer is yes...
    7) - Please post back, stating which version of WMP it is

Thanks, people, for your help in this quest.

Super Moderator

Are you sure you do not mean, the ability to make an Audio CD from WAV files? As this technically is a different format, called CDDA.

If you truly want to store WAV files on your CD, you may have problems with some players, older CD players not being able to read the wav file. Unlikely but could happen.

If you want to take a folder full of audio WAV files, and create a Audio CD. The WAV files must be "mastered" into what it known as CDDA, or "Compact Disk Digital Audio."

For making a CD containing WAV files, you would be making a DATA CD. TO make a typical Audio CD from wav files then you would be making an Audio CD.

Just making sure we are understanding.

For an answer. I would have to guess WMP 7 should be able to handle what you want. As this was the first version to integrated CD-burning abilities.

locustfurnace.....you're a pretty darn good detective. Thanks for trying to "read between the lines", and making some helpful observations, particularly that essential point about WMP7.
    All of we "alternative" folk - bright, bright people with a rainbow of abilities and experience - think "outside the box" for not only possibilities, but, ultimately, elegantly simple solutions.

Of course, no-one "needs" any of this stuff...but...I'd "like" to be able to:

A) - RIP individual tunes from my extensive collection of CDs
    and
    B) - BURN any combination of these tunes to a CD-R
    with musical quality and fidelity that is IDENTICAL to that of the original CD.

Since discovering the ability of Windows Media Player (that comes with Windows XP anyways) to do a not-too-shabby job of ripping and burning, I've used it a fair amount to do so. However, even using the highest musical quality format available with WMP10 - "WMA lossless" - I find that the resultant CDs are sonically not quite as good as the original CDs, and, perhaps more to the point - not even playable on a lot of (and most portable) CD players.

In order to maximize the quality of the CDs that I burn, and to have them be able to be played on pretty well any CD player, I was thinking that I could stay with WMP in some form.....perhaps an older version.....that may feature the ability to use WAV format to do what I'm looking for (see A&B above).
    But as I continue to bounce this around in my head, the advice offered so far indicates that I could very well be out to lunch about WAV being able to do this easily. So, now what?

(Oops, almost forgot..."Windows 2000 SP4" and "the gaffer"...thanks for chipping in here too.)

Administrator

im perhaps not as fussy as you as loads of my cds are under feet when im driving which is usually after the dog has chewed them as well but you could rip http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml and then burn http://www.blazemp.com/wav_burner_software.htm it gives a real good quality.
    simply me

Quote, from our bud the gaffer :

"loads of my cds are under feet when im driving
    which is usually after the dog has chewed them as well.....
    it gives a real good quality."