Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default I need help with CoolEditPro 2.1 - I'm desperate!!

I'm new here, so apologies if I've messed up in any way with regards this new thread.
    Please note, I really need help here. One minute you think you know alot about using this program, then a little mistake just floors you

And if any of this gets confusing, skip on to my edit on the last line for the ultimate of my problems explained in one handy sentence!

I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.1 on my computer as a DAW, and I'm still learning the ropes.
    As helpful as the help section implemented with this program is, it's not quite specific enough to help me here with the problems I have listed below.

I should mention first that I plug my guitar directly into the back of the computer through the microphone port (the pink one on a Dell - right?) using a different jack that fits into the input on the guitar at one end. Whether it's the microphone port or not I don't know, but the microphone was there before it

1.Firstly, I need to know what device to select if I was to record a drum beat from a drum machine program on my computer (basically if I were recording directly from sounds on the computer)

2. Secondly, I wish to be able to hear myself playing through the speakers as I record the track. I believe this is called monitoring, but in the Help section of this program monitoring is something completely different. Can anyone enlighten me?

3. Lastly (and this is the big "uh oh" on my part), while I was trying to figure out how to solve Problem 1, I messed around with the order of the recording devices used in the program, and now, when I try to record the guitar as I had been doing before through the port at the back, the whole thing flatlines and I get no sound at all! And before you ask, everything is plugged in fine thanks
    I must've done something to mess it up, but try as I might to put the recording devices in the right order, I don't know which is which so I'm screwed!

Basically, which device is the one for recording the guitar directly and how do I put it back in the settings so that I can use it?

I'm a desperate man, and actually can't record any further without help! EEP!

Thanks, I eagerly await the expertise of someone who uses DAWs, and maybe even this one, just ANYONE who can help me!

EDIT: To make it simple, now when I press record, nothing records, it just "flatlines" so to speak!!

Last edited by Giggleheimer; 03-06-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: I made it seem far more complicated than it is

Super Moderator

Check your sound property's under Windows. Make sure you did not accidently mute your microphone or line-in under the RECORDING tab.

To playback and listen to a track, is called Full-Duplex. This has to be something your soundcard is capable of doing regardless of the software used. For if the hardware can only handle Simplex, then no matter what the software can do it won't work.

It's been years since I have used CoolEdit. So i could be off basis on this. Check to see if there is a way you can reset the settings to default. Otherwise, make sure the soundcard selection refers to your soundcard and not sound mapper.

As for recording a drum beat from a drum synth, why not export the beats to a wav file, then open it under Cool Edit as a track.

If no one else can help soon, I'll load a copy on my laptop when I have time to sort this out.

On a different computer right now, but I'll certainly check my sound card specs and whatnot when I get home.

As for exporting to WAV, that's what I ended up doing for the drum beat!

What exactly do you mean by uploading a copy to your laptop? A copy of what?

Administrator

locustfurnace means he will load the said programs onto his laptop to sort this out,ie settings etc,he has done far more of this type of thing than the average person who visits ov. you will get sorted with his knowledge that i have no doubt.
    simply me

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    locustfurnace means he will load the said programs onto his laptop to sort this out,ie settings etc,he has done far more of this type of thing than the average person who visits ov. you will get sorted with his knowledge that i have no doubt.
    I actually do feel a little better now!

Still no luck though with the settings

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Giggleheimer View Post
    3. Lastly (and this is the big "uh oh" on my part), while I was trying to figure out how to solve Problem 1, I messed around with the order of the recording devices used in the program, and now, when I try to record the guitar as I had been doing before through the port at the back, the whole thing flatlines and I get no sound at all! And before you ask, everything is plugged in fine thanks
    I must've done something to mess it up, but try as I might to put the recording devices in the right order, I don't know which is which so I'm screwed!
    Go to
    OPTIONS > DEVICE PROPERTYS > WAVE OUT

This should match the name of your soundcard or driver. Change it to a different selection if it states Wave Mapper

Do the same for OPTIONS > DEVICE PROPERTYS > WAVE IN

Then check under OPTIONS > DEVICE ORDER Make sure your soundcard again is placed under the "Multitrack Device Preference Order" box. Do the same for each tab.

Then check under OPTIONS > WINDOWS RECORDING MIXER, You'll want to checkmark the SELECT box for MICROPHONE, if you are using the microphone for recording, or the Line-in if your using the Line-in.

That's actually what I've been trying to do, I knew it'd be something to do with the "Device Properties" section.

Again, I haven't had a chance to get to the necessary computer, but I'll try that out as soon as I get back.

Incidentally, I believe the sound card is some crappy "SoundMax Digital Audio" thing, would that be right? Just the standard thing that comes with all Dells I'd say.

To the best of anyone's knowledge, can that support the ability of Full-Duplex? (my guess - no )

Thanks, I'll try all this advice out when I can ASAP!
    Last edited by Giggleheimer; 03-08-2007 at 03:45 AM.

Super Moderator

I am not aware of what chipsets Dell uses in their computers. But considering a company like Dell, HP and the rest will usually go the cheapest. So a chipset can differ from computer to computer.

Default Yes!

I have sound, your advice worked perfectly!!

Thanks SO much LocustFurnace, now - to record!

To help you understand the basics of how recording has to be set to work will help you
    more than telling you what to set where on what software:
    ---
    The basics as far as I know with recording is this:

Most programs let you select which device you'll use to record (or playback) with. If the
    software does not let you select then it's possible that using the one(s) in
    Control Panel / Multimeda . Typically there's only one or two record / playback devices.
    One of them is the hardware sound card that is plugged into the computer bus. The other
    is sometimes 'the driver' for that hardware. They are effectively the same thing but one
    can be thought of as being directly connected to the hardware the other choice is thought
    of going through the driver. Pick the hardware choice whicih is typically the soundcard's name.

Once you select that , and make sure the same choice is selected on your software the next step
    is to be sure the inpuot you use is selcted. As far as I know only 1 input can be selcted for recording.
    You can't record from both the mic and line input at the same time and the large volume control panel
    has a choice in the REC panel to 'select' the input you'll use to record. < = this is where most people
    find that they've deselected it. This selection can be changed by software. But looking at the volume
    control panel for REC will show you which input has the check mark on it. IF it's not on the input that
    you expected then your software had changed it. You can change it at the volume's REC menu but
    that doesn't mean the software won't change it back when you start recording. However if you can
    monitor the signal before you start recording then by checking the input you want
    on the volume's REC menu you will have selected which input to monitor. This is a good time to be sure
    that your volume PLAY menu has the sliders up and none of them 'muted' .

At this point you're in business as far as a simple record. All recording operations go through this basics
    of settings.

IF something doesn't make sense feel free to pm me and I'll copy the answer to the thread for others to see.

Andre