Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default lets have some input.

how many of you new members out there actually join and then keep returning ? say hi,tell us all about grannies bad foot or rovers flea problem,the general section is getting boring,post after post with just a link to something perhaps unintersting to some people,i am not having a dig at those that post such links,it would just be nice to see more general chat and learn a little about people in general,so here you go lets get some GENERAL conversation going,say what you feel get stuff off your chest.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    the general section is getting boring,post after post with just a link to something perhaps unintersting to some people,.
    Funny you mention that, as I entered the General board, the first thing I thought was, this is more of a "BREAKING NEWS" section than anything.
    I've felt that the General board should be generalized around the websites concept in part. Or atleast be relevant to computing.

If I really cared to read about news, I would be visiting and posting to a news board.

Occasionly, posting news would be OK, but since there is not even a summary and I am having to click a link, as you mention, to see what the fuss is about then decide I can care less.

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer View Post
    so here you go lets get some GENERAL conversation going,
    I do not feel there are enough regulars to create a good discussion board here. This is primarily why I frequent several boards.

Administrator

my sentiments exactly, its ok for us on fast internet connections but lots are videos that are just not an option for those on dial up and hence could become frustrating.looking back down the pages there are dozens of threads that just never got a response perhaps news is not so interesting as people think,partly the reason that got me asking how many of the older regulars still check out the site but perhaps do not sign in.there is always between 100 and 200 viewing the forums are they guests or regulars ? who knows.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Most of the 200 checking out the forum are Yahoo spiders crawling and indexing the website.

If you also check out the majority of the replies to any thread, it is usually the same handful of people. Which usually only happens on a website with low traffic, but this site is not one of those.

The site is more liken to a fast-food restaurant. 'Place your order, get it fast, complain if not what you wanted and leave in a hurry.'

I have not seen many of yester-years regulars here nowadays. Many left during the P2P spam fest. Many left for other reasons.
    Those who did converse, usually where just people trying to change the site to something they believed it should be, but never did come back.

Maybe by placing requests on hold for a few days before fulfilling them, may cause some people to stop, look around and offer something more than a software 'wish-list.'

Beta

Yes general is over used with these kitty links is borning.

The memebers join and dont come back hmmmm I counted 15 posters in last month.

Gotta take my tip do mass email 10,000 so for sure you can't send one simple email to all in one shot.

It's a fact most new computer/internet users join sites and they forget all about it after time.

Ohh by the way site did time out today was too many connections.

Administrator

yes locust that was a real downer,i too stopped visiting for a while during that time,if i remember rightly it was or seemed to be about the time that guest posting was disabled perhaps it was that reason that caused it,such a shame as there was quite a hard core of regulars who were here nearly all the time up until that time.
    simply me

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 98SE View Post
    Yes general is over used with these kitty links is borning.

The memebers join and dont come back hmmmm I counted 15 posters in last month.

Gotta take my tip do mass email 10,000 so for sure you can't send one simple email to all in one shot.

It's a fact most new computer/internet users join sites and they forget all about it after time.

Ohh by the way site did time out today was too many connections.
    have you always been so contradictive ? general is over used with these links,so you havent been posting several of them and changing from one user name to another to do so. http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4194 http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4191 . what a joke.At times you border on trolling.
    Last edited by the gaffer; 02-15-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: aded links.
    simply me

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace View Post
    Funny you mention that, as I entered the General board, the first thing I thought was, this is more of a "BREAKING NEWS" section than anything.
    the other thought i had was the lack of interest in loads of the news type posts,there are actually dozens that never got a comment,this in itself points to it being uninteresting.
    simply me

Oh! I never realised anyone cared,I had always thought of the General forum as O.V.coms landfill.
    Believe me,if you must, some real treasures can be found in a landfill (rubbish site) I can guarantee anything your [s]heart[/s]head desired would turn up within two weeks.
    The people that work at those sites deserve real credit for enduring the pain of burying societies treasures without revealing its secrets, I suspect in ancient times they would of had their heads cut off or at least their tongues.

All guarantees apply to landfills not general forums and are valid for thirty days or the moment before redemption which ever is the shortest.

Beta

the gaffer has a word for everything jackup the the gaffer points there dude congrats