Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Icq

Gold

Default Icq

This morning, I was in need of an FTP program and remembered CuteFTP sucking a lot less than most FTP clients and v2.8 being the final version before the bloat. Of course, I came here and found it. I feel strongly about this site, let me tell you.

That said, why offer old versions of ICQ when AOL blocks all old versions? I used 99b for years until they blocked it. Then I stopped using ICQ. Is there a way around the AOL servers? Because that would be unicorns.

Administrator

http://www.oldversion.com/about.php think this should explain things a little.others perhaps know a way round the older versions being blocked but i dont personally use this app,im sure if anyone can help they will.
    simply me

Gold

No, that didn't help at all but I really admire your butt-covering tactics. Really, you have no idea.

Beta

Maybe you will prefer the answer I gave here : http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4244 ?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by edyuban View Post
    No, that didn't help at all but I really admire your butt-covering tactics. Really, you have no idea.
    you asked why offer versions that are blocked and the answer explained that,not butt covering at all,remember people on the firums give up THEIR time to try and help others,absolutely NO need for the attitude.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by edyuba
    That said, why offer old versions of ICQ when AOL blocks all old versions? I used 99b for years until they blocked it. Then I stopped using ICQ. Is there a way around the AOL servers? Because that would be unicorns.

The same question constantly is being asked by users when similar happens to other programs. A simple search of the forum would have given a few explainations.

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showt...hlight=napster
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showt...hlight=napster

Gold

Okay, I was attempting to be humorous. Sorry it didn't work out. I didn't realize I needed a stick up my butt before entering the forums. I'll work on that in the future. Or I'll just download your files and stay away from the forums. It is a hotbed of activity I'll sorely miss but what can you do?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by edyuban View Post
    Okay, I was attempting to be humorous. Sorry it didn't work out. I didn't realize I needed a stick up my butt before entering the forums. I'll work on that in the future. Or I'll just download your files and stay away from the forums. It is a hotbed of activity I'll sorely miss but what can you do?
    no need to stay away from the forums,humourous thats fine too,just didnt come across in that manner,we get many people who want folk to jump through hoops to help and are just totally arrogant and ungrateful for help thats offered.anyway no worries,let me know when ya get stick inserted and i will light it for ya.
    simply me

Release Candiate 1

Are you sure they blocked the servers or just different port from 99b?