Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default GFI MailEssentials & MailSecurity

GFI Software used to offer versions of their products, when they first hit the market, that continued to run for free in limited-capability mode after the trial periods were over. I'm running a Windows 2003 mail server at home, for three mailboxes, and only need the limited functionality post-trial expiration.

Program Name: MailEssentials
    Current version: 12.0
    Desired versions: 8.x
    Description: this is a piece of software that filters spam from incoming mail. Versions 8 and prior allowed you to keep running the software past the 60 day trial period for free, with a decreased set of functionality. I only need the decreased set of functionality for a 3 user mailbox server.

Program Name: MailSecurity
    Current version: 9.0
    Description: this package filters viruses from incoming mail, and also allows you to continue running with just the BitDefender AV engine for free after the trial period.

I think I found version 11 essentials and a page that indicates it was the last "freeware" version, I can post it at a later date if your interested or if you have information that I'm on the wrong track post that.

Is that a page on GFI's site, that talks about MailEssentials 11?

If so, unfortunately any of the links on that page don't let you download v 11, but instead take you to v 12, which is the 'no more free' version.

If you have a link to somewhere that still has the v 11 download, send it on over!

TIA

Grandma (moderator)

kderby2000, this was a tricky task you gave us!!!

After many hours of searching I found the following files.

MailEssentials

vers. 5
    http://216.117.165.83/mes.exe

vers. 9
    ftp://194.208.69.160/GFi_Stuff/MES9/me9.exe

vers. 11
    http://www.net-security.org/dl/softw...sentials11.exe
    (If the file refuses to download - copy and paste the link)

MailSecurity

vers.8
    ftp://194.208.69.160/GFi_Stuff/MSEC8/MailSecurity.exe

Default Very, very, very nice...

Don't know how you did it, but I spent a while looking for these and couldn't find them anywhere.

Thank you very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by kderby2000
    Is that a page on GFI's site, that talks about MailEssentials 11?

If so, unfortunately any of the links on that page don't let you download v 11, but instead take you to v 12, which is the 'no more free' version.

If you have a link to somewhere that still has the v 11 download, send it on over!

TIA
    Probably

Version11> was not visible to me on GFI's servers.

Thanks I'm sure that will be useful to some but the information I am more interested in is whether or not version 11 has any "freeware" value beyond thirty days and why you would ask for a perhaps less secure v8 if v11 has the same freeware status.

No sorry I have no file links to somewhere and even if i did I wouldn't
    provide them as somebody's comes from there and they always give me trouble.
    The file download I have is from from a Nepalese ISP but it is unnecessary as you are blessed to have now experienced the superior service of Therese

Default You're mixing version info...

MailSecurity is currently at version 9, whereas version 8 had the freeware capabilities. I requested version 8 of this product.

MailEssentials is currently at version 12, and version 11 had the freeware capabilties (AFAIR). I requested version 11 of this product.

Therese so graciously found & delivered the info to locate both of these versions.

Thanks Therese!
    Last edited by kderby2000; 06-14-2006 at 10:14 AM.

You're mixing version info...

MailSecurity is currently at version 9, whereas version 8 had the freeware capabilities. I requested version 8 of this product.

MailEssentials is currently at version 12, and version 11 had the freeware capabilties (AFAIR). I requested version 11 of this product.

Therese so graciously found & delivered the info to locate both of these versions.

Thanks Therese!
    Program Name: MailEssentials
    Current version: 12.0
    Description:...
    If your desires & your requests are mutually exclusive it would be best if you posted your desires in the general forum with some sort of caveat.

I'm sure other members also spent time searching for an apparently unsolicited version 8 installer of mailessentials, generally more time would be devoted to searching for a desired version than next closest.

Mailessentials v8 had security vulnerabilities that required patching. (afair)

I have an interest in why softwares versions are requested over others.

What version info ?

Default Back From the Dead

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but the link above for Mail Security 8 is no longer valid (it's an empty folder now) and I have been unable to locate the file anywhere else.

Would it be possible for someone to help locate this one once more?

Thanks in advance!!

Program Name: MailSecurity
    Current version: 10.0
    Description: this package filters viruses from incoming mail, and also allows you to continue running with just the BitDefender AV engine for free after the trial period.

Default Found it

After much searching I was finally able to find it

The location is at http://www2.currybeast.com/ftp/Drivers/GFI/

mailsecurity8.exe Version 8.1 build 20040723 which AFAIK was the last publicly released version of Mailsecurity 8.

Please note that for me this did not work out of the box, I needed to load several patches (which are still available from GFI) to get everything working.