Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Win 2000 recovery

Hi,

Lost power at house during storm. Computer is just a blank screen with a blinking curson in the left hand corner. Can't find my Widows 2000Pro startup disks anywhere to get to recovery console. Mircrosoft has no recovery download for 2000 although they do for 98 and XP, what's up with that? Anyway, never made recovery disk as it was explained recovery console included in start would take care of any problems. Does any one have any ideas for me or can anyone send me a ERD file to download? After 2 days of doing everything I know, I admit defeat! Local retailers don't even sell 2000 anymore so I can't even buy another one. Thanks for your speedy replies only 3 hairs short of baldness from yanking them out of my head!!!

Beta

Do you got the opition to see windows 2000 load at all? Or you see all this once you turn pc on, If that's case sounds like your harddrive maybe fryed. Surge kills

Administrator

try ebay mate you find what you need no problem,windows 2000 is real cheap nowadays, you should get a disc real cheap and then start the recovery console from there,could just be corrupted data due to the power cut,but could of possibly caused damage if you havent any surge/spike protection,if you havent then really you should invest in some it can save you a fortune believe me ive been there.
    simply me

Thanks to both The Gaffer and 98SE for your replies! I get a Intel Pentium 4 page up for maybe 5 seconds before I get the blank screen so my processor is still okay. Nothing shows that is relating to Windows. I don't even want to think about my harddrive being fried? Do have a surge protector and it's sitll in working order or least it appears to be. Thanks about Ebay idea...uh, dah....I am on Ebay a couple times a week but did it cross my mind? Sometime we make things more complicated than they need to be, eh? If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. In the meantime, I'm off to Ebay. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by atrapadame View Post
    I get a Intel Pentium 4 page up for maybe 5 seconds before I get the blank screen so my processor is still okay. Nothing shows that is relating to Windows. I don't even want to think about my harddrive being fried?
    See if you can go into the BIOS to see if the hard drive is detected. In my experience if it is, most of the time the hard drive is still usable. I have recovered data from a hard drive NOT detected by the BIOS.

Can't pull up BIOS, know that's not good! Just the blank screen with the cursor. No response from keyboard.

Have you ever tried data recovery software to pull out the data from your hard drive.
    I had success with Stellar Phoenix Windows Data recovery software recovered my stuff from inaccessible hard drive.
    Just test the software download it from here:http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
    scan your hard drive, see if it does recognize your hard drive and does shows you the recovered data. If it does then you have to get the full version to save the data.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    scan your hard drive, see if it does recognize your hard drive
    Does the above software work from a bootable CD or floppy disk? Or do you have to run it within the Operating System? If the program works outside of the OS, thats a good tool to have. If it doesn't and only works inside your loaded OS, then it is not too helpful in times when your system will not boot.

Release Candiate 1

Quote Originally Posted by atrapadame View Post
    Can't pull up BIOS, know that's not good! Just the blank screen with the cursor. No response from keyboard.
    May need to reset BIOS manually via jumper on motherboard. Or, may need a new 'mobo' CMOS battery, of which can be found in most drug stores.

Beta

Killed your motherboard maybe