Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default How do I do this?? Win98 to Win98SE

Do I buy the full version of Win98SE? I thought there would be an upgrade but the ones I see on ebay are for Win95 and 3.1. I'm confused

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by vellen99 View Post
    Do I buy the full version of Win98SE? I thought there would be an upgrade but the ones I see on ebay are for Win95 and 3.1. I'm confused
    never seen an upgrade from 98 to 98se,you could just buy 98se and do a fresh install,personally i have never gone with the upgrade discs i have always prefered a fresh install.
    simply me

Beta

If you really want an upgrade, http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...2603356&sr=8-1

Click the "See more system requirements" link, it states that it can also be used to upgrade from original Windows 98 (why wouldn't it if it can from Win3.1/95 anyway ? ^^ ).

Default Thanks

I'll do the fresh install.

(why wouldn't it if it can from Win3.1/95 anyway ? ^^ ) -

Yeah - who wants to assume when it comes to operating systems?

Super Moderator

The only stipulation with upgrading from 98 to 98se. Is that you must own a previous version of MS Windows.
    if you have an upgrade CD, you can install directly from the CD onto a clean disk. When the installer begins it will ask you where your previous versio of Windows is, IT can be in a folder or on another CD.

You do not have to have Windows 98 installed and "upgrade it" with 98se. There is no difference between the files on an upgrade CD and a full version CD.

Default The Upgrade

Thanks for the response, locustfurnace. I have the full version of windows 98 SE. For some reason, all I got was the disk itself and the product key. I have a Dell Pentium IV computer with an attached storage device. Do I simply close out all windows and put the CD in for installation? I know I need my original Windows 98 disk and I do have it (though it's not worked well with installation of printers etc.).

Help?

Super Moderator

Yes, what you received is all you get these days, well actually, thats more than what you receive these days, With most NEW OEM computers you do not get a CD.You have to make a backup yourself.

Yes. you can insert the upgrade CD and reboot if you want, it will install the upgrades over the existing system, it will take a longer time than simply wiping the drive clean and starting from scratch.

I can't really recall if you can upgrade while inside Windows. It most likely will shut down itself and do the upgrade.

Since you will be upgrading over an existing installation, you shouldn't have to worry about where your Original 98 disk is. As it will use the existing files to verify your entitled to an upgrade.

Administrator

the upgrade disc should run from within windows,note though if you want to reboot and start the upgrade you may have to set the bios to boot from the cd drive,also whichever way you choose i would recommend backing up your drivers before doing anything with such as driver magician http://www.dirfile.com/driver_magician_lite.htm just in case you run into problems.
    simply me

Thank you so much for the information!