Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Virtual Machine Suggestion

does anyone know of a good virtual machine like VMWare that can run on Windows 98 NOT WINDOWS 98 SE and please if you can make sure it isn't Bochs or Qemu
    THANKS,
    Last edited by virtualmachine07; 07-04-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Beta

I'm not quite sure if it does run under 98, and last time I tested it (under XP) it seemed pretty unstable to me, yet you may want to give a try to VirtualBox. Must have been a few updates since last time I tested it so, maybe it got a little better...

Super Moderator

What's wrong with using BOCHS or QEMU? I've used both without too many problems over the years.

Some possibilities.

Virtualbox
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

XEN
    http://www.xensource.com/

Virtuozzo Server Virtualization
    http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/virtuozzo/

You could try VPC (Connectix Virtual PC, later bought by Microsoft), there are links in the request board.

QEMU doesn't work somehow on my computer.And I want to run Windows XP using a virtual machine.And um Virtual Box (the current version) only works for Windows NT Machines.But I try to google up some other older versions of virtualbox.
    Last edited by virtualmachine07; 07-04-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Nope haven't found any older versions of Virtual Box.And,I tried Connectix Virtual PC before and it only works for Windows 98 SECOND EDITION.And what I mean by QEMU doesn't work is because when I launch it after I created a virtual machine using QEMU Manager it loads then dissappears.So, if no one can find a virtual machine for Windows 98 then someone help me with the problem I have with QEMU.

Beta

Looks like the Virtual PC trial versions 4 require a serial number to be installed, which can't be obtained anymore since the domain was taken by someone else... and if I read well, on the other threads they said that v5 doesn't work well under 9x =(

So can someone help with this problem I have with QEMU.Thanks it would be appreciated.If you need to I try to email you Pictures of what happens with QEMU on my Machine.
    Last edited by virtualmachine07; 07-05-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Just forget about qemu.I will try to get Windows 98 Second Edition so I can run Connectix Virtual PC.Thanks.

P.S. If you find a virtual machine that runs on Windows 98 First Edition tell me.
    Last edited by the gaffer; 07-06-2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: please do not ask for serial numbers on these forums it is illegal and not allowed.

Finally got Qemu to work.No one needs to post anymore.