Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Need Help with 98SE and DiVX player

I have been trying for hours and hours to find a solution to playing newly downloaded movies with a 98SE OS. I have successfully downloaded an older version of the DiVX player 5.2 for 98/Me, but when I try to play the movie all I get is the sound no video. I have been looking to install newer codecs but they either won't install properly or won't install at all. Please help!! I am not very savvy with the computer lingo. So please be gentle as I am a virgin to these forums....

Release Candiate 1

Default Graphics Card

Have you installed the driver for your graphics card id you have one???????
    I am not sure if this will apply but make sure you have a 3d hardware accelerator enabled too...

Release Candiate 1

Dr DivX v1.05
    Dr DivX v1.04
    Dr DivX v1.02p
    Dr DivX v1.02

Why not try a different version????

Release Candiate 1

In the windows media player list, the file name would be red right click on it and it would tell you the video code, Common codes now are divx,xvid, AC3

Release Candiate 1

Get these codecs...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter

Pretty much all you'll need besides DivX codec to play the files on Windows Media Player. Otherwise, get Media Player Classic at...
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gul...7&big_mirror=0

The DivX Playa is garbage, IMO.
    Last edited by Zootopia3000; 08-03-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Gold

Could be complicated. My first guess is that you need a newer version of direct X. Ver 9 works well with Win98. Sometimes, after you install codecs, direct x files are overwritten. I have found it to be good practice to reinstall direct x after any work with codecs or media players, particularly if any abnormal thing comes up.
    Direct X install will also detect if you can accelerate 3d and so forth.
    Win 98 is usually run on earlier processors. A speed of 750 mghz or better is needed for DVD. 350 mghz or better for MP4 and comparables. Your processor speed should be displayed when you boot, or you can find it in bios setup. If you go into bios setup be sure when you exit, you don't save anything. BE SURE TO EXIT WITHOUT SAVING.
    There is a very small possibility that your drivers or media layer is assigning the processor as a priority, and if your speed is close to minimal, it assigning the processor to sound, which needs less bandwidth. But this is a small possibility.

Super Moderator

Another question to ask is. Are you sure these are DivX or Xvid encoded files and not H.264. Both of these formats are also known as MP4, but they are slightly different structures.
    You would need the latest Quicktime for H.264 encoded mp4 movies.