Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default usb 1 to usb 2 conversion software

Hey guys! I am in dire need of a software which can really make my junky laptop working. My laptop is really old.One from earliest release of DELL. It has usb 1 and does not recognise my camera or flash discs or even external CD drive,which are having usb 2. I am requesting you guys to help me out,if any one has the answer. you can directly email me any link to down load such programmes to me <ydvspster@gmail.com> would really appriciate your efforts.

Grandma (moderator)

Hi,

I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong in the following.

USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 is a hardware matter and there is no software that upgrades USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. The only thing is that you don’t get the higher speed.

I believe that your problem depends on what OS you are running.
    My son is giving me old computer things instead of throwing them away. About a year ago I got three very old laptops, among them a Dell. It was made for Win 98, but I have installed Win 2000 pro SP4. This comp has USB 1.1. It runs very slow and I should run Win 98, but I still prefer Win 2000.

Now I tested the comp with my digital camera and the camera appeared as an extern disc. I have earlier transferred files to that comp with my USB 2.0 memory without problems.

If you want your laptop to recognise your camera, CD-drive etc, I believe that you need to have Win 2000 pro SP 4 or higher installed.
    Last edited by Therese; 08-19-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ydvspster View Post
    My laptop is really old.One from earliest release of DELL. It has usb 1 and does not recognise my camera or flash discs or even external CD drive,which are having usb 2.
    I wouldn't call that an earliest from Dell as it does not really appear all that old. But there is NO software that will "upgrade" USB 1 to USB 2.

You never stated which version of Windows you are running. I believe Windows 95 and 98 had issues with the USB hardware. Windows 98se was a little better.

The issue would not be with you having USB1.0. And the devices are USB2.0. As the speed will only be slower. USB 1 is 11MBps and USB 2.0 is 480MBps. If the devices are not showing up on your computer then the issue is with the OS your running.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong in the following.
    You're correct.

Release Candiate 1

If you have Windows 98 Second Edition, you can install the 'Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.1'...
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605
    ...which will help with cameras and such to be more easily recognized. As for external drives, you may need to also install extra drivers, such as Freecom Cable I & II drivers...
    http://www.freecom.com/ecDrivers.asp?form1=true
    ...Normally, external drives come with software installation CD's (or floppys) to help it be additionally recognized if need be, as with all external hardware for that matter.

If you have USB 1.0 instead of USB 1.1, or Win 95 or 98 First Edition, you're SOL. You'll need to upgrade to either Win98SE or Win ME (don't laugh, WinME is A-OK if properly configured) if you have at least USB 1.1 hardware. Win ME also has extra native USB capabilities built in, so the 'Unofficial Windows 98 SE Native USB Drivers (NUSB) 3.1' installation mentioned above would not be necessary.
    Last edited by Zootopia3000; 08-19-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ydvspster View Post
    Hey guys! I am in dire need of a software which can really make my junky laptop working. My laptop is really old.One from earliest release of DELL. It has usb 1 and does not recognise my camera or flash discs or even external CD drive,which are having usb 2. I am requesting you guys to help me out,if any one has the answer. you can directly email me any link to down load such programmes to me <ydvspster@gmail.com> would really appriciate your efforts.
    I have window ME and usb 1.0

Release Candiate 1

If WinME came with that laptop, then you have USB 1.1... Your laptop is not that old. My laptop is older. I see no reason why you are having that many troubles 'cept for a USB driver problem or hardware failure. What does Device Manager show? Also, you might have disabled onboard USB capabilities in BIOS by mistake, if that option was ever available.

If not a BIOS problem, then might try uninstalling the USB hardware (controllers and such) in Device Manager, reboot, and have WinME do its thing by reinstalling the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zootopia3000 View Post
    If WinME came with that laptop, then you have USB 1.1... Your laptop is not that old. My laptop is older. I see no reason why you are having that many troubles 'cept for a USB driver problem or hardware failure. What does Device Manager show? Also, you might have disabled onboard USB capabilities in BIOS by mistake, if that option was ever available.

If not a BIOS problem, then might try uninstalling the USB hardware (controllers and such) in Device Manager, reboot, and have WinME do its thing by reinstalling the drivers.
    I am sorry to say, my laptop had got locked up when I got it. It was unlocked by local technitians and win200 has been installed on it. but usb is 1.0 not 1.1 any way I have asked technitian to install winME and to try if any device is getting recognised by it or not.

Administrator

many of the older laptops wont work well if at all,had an old win95 laptop with usb 1.0 and never did get it to recognise much hardware,keep in mind that usb 1.1 came out back in 1998 so if it has usb1.0 then it is really old hardware and will suffer compatibility issues with newer hardware
    simply me

Release Candiate 1

I doubt Win2000 was the original OS on that laptop if it has USB 1.0. I have read just now that USB 2.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible with both USB 1.0 and 1.1, but I feel that is iffy. May also try installing updated chipset drivers for your laptop...

Don't forget about that BIOS USB setting. Also, the 'technician' may have not properly reformatted/repartitioned the hard drive when installing WinME on it. If it were me, I'd repartition (fdisk - delete all, create new and set active)/reset master boot record (fdisk /mbr), reformat (format c: /s for win98SE; format c: for WinME) and then install either Win98SE/ME for a fresh start. Or, try reinstalling WinME over itself (then re-update via Windows Update site). I would not even try Win2000/XP... you probably don't have enough physical memory to give those OS's proper speed.

Release Candiate 1

yeh i agree wiv Zootopia300