Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Netscape

seaweed

i used netscape v4.7 with win 95 and 98 and it always caused the system to crash! i only did it becouse then i dident like win-but couldent understand apple, and i loved the lighthouse.
    Is it better with XP? Is it possiable to add the lighthouse to v8.0 ???

seaweed

Super Moderator

What lighthouse are you talking about, the splash-screen?

seaweed

Yes, i think it was v4,3??? or v4.8 just befor they released communicator 6. that really messed up my system! It was a tall light house with a beam of light at the top,I bought a mac in 2001 and that had it as well, i still have the mac never used noone i know can install it for cable!!!
    Just one question, why would someone install and use an old version of netscape? like going back to IE 4 when i treid that everything was magnified and it really dident work. And theres Firefox or off by one browser--thats really fastttttttttttttttttttt. and so small it dosent seem to exist!!!!!!!!! !!! :blink:

Super Moderator

Many people had problem with v6 of Netscape. Try using Mozilla or the latest Netscape Navigator.
    Are you using a router for your cable access? If you have one, just set up the Apple OS to use DHCP, its really simple to do. Same goes if you plan to just hook it straight to the cable line.
    Someone may use older versions of programs since they do not have the latest hardware to be able to run these newer apps.
    You may be able to use a resource editor, remove the Lighthouse splash screen from one version and replace the newest splash screen in a newer version with the lighthouse.

seaweed

i will try that, i thought the page would be locked,imagin useing mozilla1.7 with netscape splash screen!!
    I use firefox 1.0 and off by one. I liked firefox0.8 the best can i make a seperate program file folder if download 0.8?? what should i call the folder? Lat time i tried to install an older version of opera it went anyway to the opera file???Even though id made another folder and pointed the setup to it??

Super Moderator

Mozilla, is netscape. So using Mozilla's splash screen on Netscape wouldn't be to odd. Firefox is Mozilla. Netscape is just a complete web suite, packages with a e-mail reader, web composer HTML editor. Mozilla is just a standalone browser.

When installing, be sure to specify the exact path you want the app installed to, Such as
    C:\Firefox8.0
    Don't let the program install automatically with out your intervention. It may work, it may not. Only thing is you can try.

seaweed

Ah thats it! a lot of programs install automatically, so once ive made a file c:/firefox 0.8 and browsed and pointed to the file how can i be sure it goes there or how do i manually install??

Super Moderator

Most apps ask you where do you want it installed to. So just pay close attention when installing, Pick the advanced options - if one exists. Then you can adjust the path.

Solution if you do not have an option to specify the path, just rename the other installed copy to something else. So if C:\program FIles\Firefox is installed (for example) just rename it to C:\Program Files\Firefox7.

Then create a new shortcut to the binary in Firefox7.

Then install the newer version, or whatever version you want to install. Now if it does not give you an option where to place it, you wont need to worry about it overwriting your other copy.

Release Candiate 2

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Feb 16 2005, 07:57 PM
    Mozilla is just a standalone browser.
    I think you meant Firefox. Mozilla is the suite with composer, chat and & e-mail.

Netscape have a new beta out based on the latest Firefox release.

Super Moderator

Right. I meant Firefox
    I don't use any of them, I just stick with Konqueror. But since getting GNOME 2.9.1 running, I might try Epiphany or Galeon once more.