Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Having Problems w/ Internet Expl 6

Hi,

I am going to be working with an online company that is only using Internet Explorer 6. I have to downgrade from 7 and I've downloaded the files from here and when it asks if I want to run and I click "run"...nothing happens, it hasn't downgraded it to 6.0. Could someone tell me what I need to do to get this on my computer...I'm not thrilled with having to downgrade but I want to work so I'm willing to do it. Any help would be most appreicated.

Graceful

Release Candiate 1

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, uninstall 'Windows Internet Explorer 7' and reboot if asked. That will get you back to IE 6. Next, I would go to Windows Update site to see if you need to re-update any critical updates. Internet Explorer 7 may appear again as available via Windows Update, and if so, just uncheck that option or tell Windows Update (also an option) to not show you IE 7 again.

Internet Explorer 7 should work with IE 6 anyway, but I'm not a fan of IE 7... Don't like the look and feel and is not as snappy.
    Last edited by Zootopia3000; 12-03-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Default Problem installing IE6

I have downloaded v.6 but I am having problems installing it. When I try to run the program it says that I have a newer version of IE and can not install. I went to Add/Remove Windows components and unchecked the IE box and restarted windows. I tried the new install again but to no avail. What am I missing?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cmeg26 View Post
    I have downloaded v.6 but I am having problems installing it. When I try to run the program it says that I have a newer version of IE and can not install. I went to Add/Remove Windows components and unchecked the IE box and restarted windows. I tried the new install again but to no avail. What am I missing?
    you would need to uninstall ie7 using the add/remove programs,just unchecking that box would not remove it.
    simply me

Default Ie6

Ok that makes sense but I still have the same problem. I went to Add/Remove Programs and Add/Remove windows components, restarted after both, tried again and still nothing. I then went to Programs and tried to delete the files there hoping that would work but it would not let me saying that files were in use. I then went to Windows Task Mgr and tried to end the iexplorer.exe but that didn't work either. It's still telling me that there is a newer version installed. Everything visible for IE6 is gone (desktop icons, etc). This is where I stand now. I know that it's still in there somewhere as I am still (obviously) able to use the internet. I didn't have to "reinstall" IE7.

???

Default Scratch that last post

Ok. Somehow my computer managed to restart itself at 3:06 this morning and when I woke up and clicked on the shortcut to this page I found that I am now using IE6. My only question is how do I get the desktop icon for IE? And to have it listed under Programs as well?

Thanks again for the help.

Oh and one other thing... Would IE6 cause websites to load any slower than normal? It seems to be taking forever...

Administrator

double click my computer,double click local disc c,double click program files,open the folder called internet explorer and find the internet explorer icon and right click it and then click on send to desktop create shortcut.if you want internet explorer to show on your start menu then right click on the bottom taskbar and select properties,from this select the start menu and then click on customise,you will then see option for adding it to your start menu etc.may be slight variations depending what version of windows you have im currrently using xp on this machine.
    simply me

Yeah I figured that's what I had to do but there is no IE icon in that folder. I can't find it anywhere.

Sorry to be such a pain.