Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default The Time Machine

Decided recently that some of my best (as well as worst) computer experiences were the result of fumbling around the Windows 98 environment. Coupling that with a fondness for some of the older PC games that flourished around the late nineties, I picked up an OEM version of 98SE on eBay and bought a refurbished box from these kind folks: http://www.pcretro.com.

Part of the pleasure (twisted though it may be) is recreating some of the utilities I remember using, like TweakUI or a basic version of WinZip (which at the time was a free download from Tucows). Unfortunately, I can't remember which version it was. Here at OldVersion, there are versions up to 10 but the more recent builds are a pretty large footprint (5-6 Mb), so I'd like to download one of the earlier versions, either 8 or 9. I don't use it for much but unzipping files so the more sophisticated features are not something I would typically use. Any thoughts?

You got yourself 1 awesome computer there!!!

Win98se rocks!!!!!!

Welcome to the site

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    You got yourself 1 awesome computer there!!!

Win98se rocks!!!!!!

Welcome to the site
    windows 98se does rock dude,strange as it may sound though im now running most of my boxes on xp , yep thats right xp , never thought i would but im actualy prefering it at the moment,still think it will be a long long time before i give up the 98se altogether, i also have one pc that runs windows m.e just fantastic and i wouldnt change it for nothing,i still think there would be no need for broadband myself if programs were like they used to be and not bloated like a balloon with mbs and mbs of bloatware,used to download just fine on dial up.seems software is getting just as obese as society lol lol
    simply me