Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Windows Media Player 9 will not install

Hi

Just had a new drive on my pc installed and Windows xp put back on (do not want vista at moment) Trouble is, it is WMP 11 - the latest, now I think I had 9 before and preferred it, but Windows will not install version 9 for xp now!! So I managed to download it from here, and now I get error messages telling me that the new version has been detected and will not install V9!!

Tried going into add/remove windows components, but didn't make any difference....

If anyone has any idea on how to solve this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Administrator

hi matey and welcome to the forums. here you go mate follow it carefully and you should be sorted http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372
    simply me

Thanks for that, I tried the second way and it worked!! I typed what was given in the Run box and everything went smoothly except for a couple of hiccups where when I went to install v9 I got an error message up saying that there was a space where v11 was and it wasn't going to install for some reason, but I ran it a second time and things went ok. So v9 is up and so far had no probs, so fingers crossed......

Computer tech who installed new stuff said he would have installed v9 again if he'd known, but he usually out of habit installs the latest versions of stuff. I mentioned I thought v11 was, in my opinion, a pig to use - he seems to like v11... oh well!

Thanks again for your help.

Administrator

youre welcome,stick around and enjoy the forums.
    simply me

Default Media player autoconnecting to Net!

Hi again

I've managed to get WMP v9 PLAYING properly ok - but it is connecting itself to the internet when I go to play music. Tried going into the options and unchecking the 'open in Media Guide' - but no difference. There is a way, I know, but for the life of me can't find it. Have to keep signing off the Net every time - getting to be a BIT of a pain!!

Cheers

Administrator

long time since i used windows media player but i think it should be under tools / options / player and in there should be options for connecting or not connecting to the internet etc,alternately if you have a firewall you could always go to your exceptions and uncheck it in their and that should also stop it from connecting to the internet.
    Last edited by the gaffer; 06-12-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    simply me

I hope you know that there is good alternatives regarding the Windows Media Player today year 2008.

Interested in some recommendations? (free software of course!)

wmp9 is the BEST of the series