Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default QuickTime 2.1 won't install

I am trying to play an old game that I used to have on Windows 95/98. It installed fine but asked for Quicktime 2.1 to be downloaded. When I started the download I was prompted to look for an older version of Quicktime, but when it started searching I received the message

"QTINSTAL caused a General Protection Fault in module QuickT~1.EXE at 0002:5DA.

QTInstal will close"

I tried to skip this step and install directly but that to leads to another error.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any advice?

yup. i'm having the exact same problem.

Beta

Guess you should try installing that in a virtual machine running an older OS.

Default Re: QuickTime 2.1 won't install

I am trying to play an old game that I used to have on Windows 95/98. It installed fine but asked for Quicktime 2.1 to be downloaded. When I started the download I was prompted to look for an older version of Quicktime, but when it started searching I received the message

"QTINSTAL caused a General Protection Fault in module QuickT~1.EXE at 0002:5DA.

QTInstal will close"

I tried to skip this step and install directly but that to leads to another error.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any advice?
    To make it install, just say "no" to the question and confirm it (unless you actually have an older version installed - at least on Vista this doesn't conflict with new Quicktime installs).

I'll warn you, though, that installing it separately from a Quicktime download may not fix your problem. I tried that and it didn't work. What did work was to allow one of the old Carmen Sandiego games that came with Quicktime to install it. This fixed the problem not just for Carmen but for all the old games I had with a Quicktime issue. I suspect you can do this with any of the old games that came with a 2.X release but I have no proof.