Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Power Spikes

Administrator

wow folks i didnt realise how impotant these gadgets were, i always used them until recently i had a major wiring upgrade indoors and just to get running again i hooked everything up without them and dang something hit a power cable down the road the next week and blew all three boxes, never mind all rebuilt now and back online, but its a lesson learned never run without one especially if like me i had them but didnt bother connecting them up. the headaches ive had getting everything going again and reinstalling everything has near sent me grey
    simply me

Super Moderator

Power surge/spike protectors with high joule ratings are more costly too but well worth the investment. Look for these accessories too include a warranty of protection (insurance).
    Don't use extension cords, or 'power strips' as they have no protection in them.

And if you want, add a battery backup supply, and an isolated noise filter and line conditioner as not all the power coming from the poles are constant, this is what A/C power is, its fluctuating or as the 'a' in a/c means, alternating current. Sometimes it is the cause of a brown out, where the power from the supply dips well below what is necessary for the device to operate at and causes the components to shut-off. Which results in loss of data and even possible damage when the power levels back out and the components start operating once more.

Time to start using backups, so your causing yourself to go grey reinstalling your OS.

CM

Greeetings. just got DSL from earthlink and it is very very fast. (also got a special price&#33 Anyway, the instructions tell how to install the modem and phone line filters but where in the sequence do I put the UPS/surgeprotector? Normally the phoneline goes to the s.p. but right now it is straight into the jack and I am not too comfortable with that as I have had modems blown by lightning WITH s.p. in use.

I am going to assume that you have a in/out phone ports in your surge protector (ya ya I know what assume means) plug the phone line you have coming out of your DSL modem and into the wall plug between the in port on your surge proctor and your DSL modem. Add a second phone line leading from the out port to the wall.

Banned

If you wish to pursue an insurance claim, contact your power retailer while the event is still fresh in their mind and ask for something in writing to confirm that supply to your address was affected for the stated period. This will certainly help with your claim and can assist in confirming that the event actually caused the power malfunction, rather than it being a product fault.

Also, I'm a sad little spammer who was warned once before and now is banned.

I would have gotten away with too, if it hadn't been for The Dude.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 06-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the gaffer
    wow folks i didnt realise how impotant these gadgets were, i always used them until recently i had a major wiring upgrade indoors and just to get running again i hooked everything up without them and dang something hit a power cable down the road the next week and blew all three boxes, never mind all rebuilt now and back online, but its a lesson learned never run without one especially if like me i had them but didnt bother connecting them up.
    Yes alot of my things have surge protectors and they are indeed good to have..... (Just in case)

Do they also trip if the voltage gets TOO LOW?? (I reckon high voltage is the main concern)
    Last edited by The Dude; 06-22-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Administrator

Yep it would be real bad if i was still trying to sort the problem nearly 5 years on.Spam dont you love it
    simply me