Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrobat Reader

Super Moderator

Originally posted by guest_Chris@Jul 31 2003, 09:18 AM
    I tried 6.0. It is an absolute dog. It installed OK but when MSIE calls it to view a web page, it takes over two minutes to open. Back to 5.0.5 for me...
    You have to rem also, that the pdf file has to download as well, to your computer, without a fast connection it will take a long time to load.
    and give an impression that Acrobat takes forever to load. when in fact it is still downloading the file off the server
    But i do agree that acrobat is taking longer and longer to load.
    have to disable the automatica search for updates, to speed it a bit.

you best bet is to right click a pdf file, save to HD then open the acrobat reader, THEN point it to the file you want to view.

guest_BradOlson

Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 is what's on my XP computer and it works just fine.

Super Moderator

don't forget you can also use Ghostscript to view PDF's. Adobe Acrobat is not the only game in town for pdf's.

The current version of Acrobat reader is now 6.0.1.

Based on posts at other message boards, there are more complaints about this one than there were for version 6.0.

Unless you have a better source, as of 3/24/04, Version 6.0 is still available at:
    http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/utils.htm

Mutley

I have found that the "basic" version of adobe reader 6.01 loads up much faster then the "full" version of the reader and is only an 8mb download you can find it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html

It doesn't have all of the features of the full version but if you just want to read pdfs then this is the best one to get.

Canadian_mojo

:unsure: I have tried to download and install "Acrobat Reader 5.0 and 5.0.5" and the newest version from Adobes website with no luck at all. I got a message saying"Corrupt Cabinet File" when I tried from this site and another saying the downloaded file was corrupt when I tried it from the Adobe site. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Thanks.

Administrator

with problems like this it is far easier if you add the details of the system you are running (ie) processor ram and windows version etc, if you add this info you may be far faster at getting a reply..
    simply me

Super Moderator

and also add, what program are you using to download the app with? IE, Netscape? Mozilla?

citty

Default Acrobat Reader

Which Version For Windows 98? I Can't Get To Adobe Site I Have Even Changed Browsers To No Avail.

I'm sure version 5.0 is OK because I'm using it, but As far as I know any version of Adobe Reader is compatable with Windows 98.