Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrobat Reader

rports

Versions 3.x and 4.x will work fine. With version 5, Acrobat Reader became bloatware that isn't worth the drive space it occupies.

LAKOTA

Yes, you are right. That is what I have

Mr Larry

The latest version is 6.0 and is available at http://www.adobe.com or http://www.download.com or http://www.versiontracker.com etc. Version 6.0 of Adobe acrobat reader is receiving mixed reviews on CNET. The major challenge seems to be getting it installed, after that it is apparently ok. The best new feature that was not available in v5.1 is the ability to save PDF files in RTF format which sounds like a nice feature. You may wish to read the user reviews on CNET before upgrading to Adobe Reader 6.0 just to be on the safe side.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mr Larry@Jun 4 2003, 02:04 AM
    The best new feature that was not available in v5.1 is the ability to save PDF files in RTF format which sounds like a nice feature.
    which version of RTF? not sure that would exactly be a good switch, unless you wish to reformat the document.
    i think keeping it as a PDF would be better - for me it is.
    since I can view pdfs much easier then RTF's, in any OS i run. since I can usually view pdfs with Xpdf, or convert it to postscript.

i like pdfs as they are. and have no real use for RTF, nor MS .doc(s).

Is there something better to RTF over PDF's?
    another good format, much better then PDF would be Deja Vu.

but i have a few CD's full of pdf's and .ps files.

Mr Larry

I do not recommend that you upgrade to version 6.0 of Adobe Reader at this time. (If it's not broke, don't fix it.) I agree with the philosophy of this forum that often times the old version is better. Unless someone has a compelling need for the new version (or simply must have the latest version) then I suggest that you stay with the old version.

ILM

I am just a normal home user on Win98 and would like to downgrade from Adobe Acrobat 5.05. Should I install Adobe Acrobat 3 or 4?

Ok I've decided to use Acrobat 4 as I've read many solid reviews about it and it's far less bulky than 5.05; and also since Acrobat 3 was released in 1996, 4 in 1999.

Super Moderator

I have installed Acrobat 5 on a win98 machine i have. and it works fine IF you load the acrobat reader first, then open a pdf, but clicking on a pdf to load acrobat seems to take an excessively long time.
    and I dont see much difference between it and 4. I only installed 5, so i can preview pdfs i make.
    i do find the speed of Xpdf and ghostscript impressive when comparing it to Adobes PDF reader.
    another very impressive document format is DejaVu.

I believe I also have Acrobat 3 on my PPC, and it opens all the pdfs i have just fine.

Art

I upgraded from 5.5 (as I remember) to 6.0 & now can't print docs from my financial institution. Tech support says its a known problem & suggested that I remove & reinstall printer. Didn't work.
    They are also looking for old version.
    Any help?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Art@Jul 16 2003, 08:11 PM
    I upgraded from 5.5 (as I remember) to 6.0 & now can't print docs from my financial institution.* Tech support says its a known problem & suggested that I remove & reinstall printer. Didn't work.
    They are also looking for old version.
    Any help?
    without spending alot of time looking for 5.5, which i most likley do have on CD. then finding a place to upload it to. (Until the Main sites gets updated.) The only thing i can tell you is to look on any and all software CD's you have, Especially the free AOL CD's you have collected over the years. look on there and you might find a current copy.
    unless you want it emailed to you. it is most likley 5 megs or more.

guest_Chris

I tried 6.0. It is an absolute dog. It installed OK but when MSIE calls it to view a web page, it takes over two minutes to open. Back to 5.0.5 for me...