Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Register

Good idea!

Guests can post some sketchy stuff

chester_ting

^^

haha thats funny because i forgot to log in!

Beta

I mentioned once in another thread that I thought it would be a good idea if this board should be for registered members only. However there were some convincing arguments put forward to allow guest posters.
    The only thing I still find a little annoying is which guest is posting. We have one or two ''guests'' who always post articulate and informative topics or replies, but then there seem to be some absolute cretins.
    Most confusing.

Originally posted by Jaime Andrés@Aug 13 2004, 11:57 AM
    I mentioned once in another thread that I thought it would be a good idea if this board should be for registered members only. However there were some convincing arguments put forward to allow guest posters.
    The only thing I still find a little annoying is which guest is posting. We have one or two ''guests'' who always post articulate and informative topics or replies, but then there seem to be some absolute cretins.
    Most confusing.
    i agree to some extent that guests in certain circumstances can post crap and be complete cretins i see loads of it both here and in other forums, my posts here by the way are the good ones you mention so you will know who i am now ? but there are two sides to every coin and whilst you guys are pretty top blokes in my book , members can in some cases be cretins as well, i think the valid point of this whole thing is , looking through the forums most problems and requests are posted by guests and if that was stopped then there would not be much going on in the forums , i believe many would not bother registering and use the site as ive noticed it refered to before as a drive through ,if need be i would register but ive never looked on it as important as i dont need people to be able to contact me, and the help i give is checked regularly so if a question was put in to a post i had made i would see it and reply as necessary.

Originally posted by Guest+Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>members can in some cases be cretins as well- [/b]
    I would think that is easier to deal with either publicly or privately.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM
    i think the valid point of this whole thing is , looking through the forums most problems and requests are posted by guests and if that was stopped then there would not be much going on in the forums[/quote]I might have thought so aswell & in a world where hits rule its prolly valid ,however if the 40% ?? loss of posts was mostly crud its no loss to me. If something is valuable to peeps they will register and use it and perhaps respect it more, I&#39;m not so sure there are so many sites that peeps can go to and get such good service for free if there are let me know so I can bookmark them.Why do many peeps rave that they wish they had found O.V.com sooner etc, is it for the guest posting you think.There is perhaps a danger that peeps might "driveby" but then they might just do a big circle and maybe even find a home site and latest version to add to their request&#33; (after reading pinned topics and spending a whole email address registering)
    I&#39;m just pro choice so would rather it (guest post) than not, but then I dont have the not thanked enough task of having to clean up I just get to complain.
    Being O.V.com I would of thought politeness might be a reason for regulars to login but thats prolly "gay" ha :rolleyes:

damn&#33; I hope it wasnt me that posted as guest above. Guest,Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM

Beta

Originally posted by Goslow@Aug 14 2004, 04:20 AM

Being O.V.com I would of thought politeness might be a reason for regulars to login but thats prolly "gay" ha

[Noel Coward mode] Goslow dear boy, just because some of the prose articulated in these forums whilst sipping a gin (Bombay Sapphire of course) and tonic alludes to politeness does not necessarily indicate that the author is in any way affected in any way to the more effeminate side. Politeness is very often confused with good manners [/ Noel Coward mode]

chester_ting

Is this going to happen?

new user

bump

sum1

:blink: call me stupid, call me paranoid, call me whatever you want to...
    but,
    if you&#39;re not collecting any info, what&#39;s the point in registering?
    it&#39;s also a pretty crappy idea to save login info on your computer, unless of course you use 100&#39;s of different passwords -- and don&#39;t care if someone else gets those 100&#39;s of different passwords you use. B)

Super Moderator

One point in registering is that you can track your postings. A lot of &#39;guest&#39; posters, post incorrectly, then the thread gets moved, or merged into an existing thread. When said user comes back to find if anyone has replied, they can no longer find their post, so instead of searching for it, they post another thread, and again and again.

If registered, one could click on ones user name and find where their posts are.