Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mokopuna

My log in name is Maori for grandchild.
    Just installed XP on a spare drive. Used FAT32 and it is quite an experience. Had to re-install drivers etc to run on XP, but so far no problems.
    PC runs at 333Mhz and I've 96 Meg ram.
    Running Office XP on XP and Office 2000 on Win98.
    This expiriment re-inforces a belief I have had since Atari days (I think that was before ABlix's time) that most people unnecessarily upgrade for no really good reason.
    This site, will be invaluable for genuine seekers of old programmes, now that we fossils are coming into our own.

Release Candiate 1

:blink: So now I am an old fossil, That is ok. I am glad to see that we have plenty of old fossils on this site. Who says that you can not teach old dogs new tricks. Never met us!!! :P We were not born pounding a keyboard, like many are now. My son at two years of age, took my apple IIe away from me. You had to bring up Atari, I still have one in the attic, I may have to bring it out again. The days of using a boot disc ,everytime seem so long ago.
    You may find that xp will tax your system. If you are use to 98, XP is a memory hog. I have 64 megs of Ram. :blink:

<_< Old Fossil :blink:

Grandma (moderator)

Ref. to the subject ‘fossils’.

Quote - Samuel Clemens, alias Mark Twain:

‘When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years’.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I&#39;m glad to be a fossil :P

mokopuna

Now for something completely different.
    There is a request posted for a password recovery tool. Is it OK to give an address for such a programme, or am I getting too paranoid?

Grandma (moderator)

Originally posted by mokopuna@May 24 2003, 03:14 PM
    There is a request posted for a password recovery tool. Is it OK to give an address for such a programme, or am I getting too paranoid?
    Very interesting topic.

As far as I can see, these programs are completely legal and they are developed for legal purposes. The intention with them is to get lost passwords back. The problem with this kind of programs is that they can be used by abusers like many other programs. The difficulties with such requests are to “separate the goats from the sheep” (a Swedish expression).

I can give you other examples of software that are developed for the programmers and are very popular among the ‘crackers’, but I don’t want to explicit name them here.

I will take another example from my own profession. I’m a physician and we prescribe a lot of absolutely necessary drugs. Some of these drugs are popular among the abusers, but we can’t stop develop them only of the reason that they can be used by abusers.

So from my point of view it is very difficult to decide what the intensions are with this kind of requests.

Release Candiate 1

:huh: If someone wants to find a password recovery utility all they have to do is go to download.com, which is cnet or they can go to zdnet. These in the legal form can be downloaded and used to recover passwords on your <_< computer. They all have disclaimers and warn against illegal use. They mainly work by reading the pws files. I would sugest unless you are going to be totaly legal with this do not dowload. we would hate to have to.
    " Separate the men from the boys." ( a American saying)

Hi Grandma :P

Beta

Originally posted by mokopuna@May 24 2003, 10:14 AM
    I know of a program that can help. The program is called 123 Password Recovery (now called Password Recovery XP).

Old version:
    123 Password Recovery 3.01

New version:
    Password Recovery XP