Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

TEA6359

what version is the best for an old computer with windows 95 and a 233 Processor ?

Release Candiate 1

I use 3.6 it can be found right here on this site and it works very well with 95.
    Some may disagree but i use it because it has enough functions for me and it does not overload my ram. I have only 64 megs and I can still surf the net at the same time it is running. I would sugest starting at 3.6 and working up If you think your system can handle it. B) this version will not support audio very well if at all.

Raiken

I run win 95B , with a 200mhz ( 166 at 200 ) cpu and 80mb ram , and i use 4.6

It runs great , but that may just be the ram .

Anyway just trying to be of help !

Super Moderator

Have you implimented a swap file? (or virtual memory as windows likes to call it.)
    this gives a slight boost, if the HD is fast enough you wont notice the swapping.
    i had an old system with a P200 (non-MMX) with 96Megs Ram and it worked well. i surfed, played music, chatted, edited photos, ran a proxy, and more at the same times. never had any problems with 96megs ram on my 200.
    also limit the vcache, it helps keep apps from hoggin up ALL ram. by telling em how much they are permitted to use.

for voice chatting, try qtalk or its successor. or give SpeakFreely a whirl.

Thracken

Depends on what company's IM you want. I have yahoo!, AIM, & MSN IM on my P200 Windows 95 computer w/ 96 MB RAM . The versions I use are:
    MSN IM: 4.5
    AIM: 4.8
    Yahoo!: 5.0 or 5.5.
    I can usually run all 3 and do some other web surfing without any major slow downs or problems.

Baller012

i apologise if this is a really stupid question but are the older versions of msn messenger compatible with the new version because i havent been able to reach any of my contacts?

Grandma (moderator)

Originally posted by Baller012@Jun 24 2003, 11:54 PM
    i apologise if this is a really stupid question but are the older versions of msn messenger compatible with the new version because i havent been able to reach any of my contacts?
    It is not at all a stupid question.

Grandpa (peppycomputer) and I IM each other very often. He uses msn 3.6 and I am running XP prof with msn 4.7. We have so far never had any problems.