Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Md5 database

Default Md5 database

Is there a decent one availible to the public? I know that Old Version uses one, as I've read the admin say so. But everything I've found on Google is utter garbage. They don't have Firefox 2.20's hash. So clearly they aren't worth much...
    It would be great if I could actually verify legit installers.

Beta

Hi there .o/
    You can give a try to this one : FileAdvisor | The Best Search Engine for Identifying Software Files - Bit9
    Keep in mind however that md5 only isn't enough to ensure a file is legit, since some people have found the way to create corrupted files with the right size and md5.

edit : oh well, looks like that one is no longer public ... or at least requires registration.
    Last edited by Constance; 06-13-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Thank you
    It does require registration, but it's no problem as long as you don't use yahoo or hotmail to sign up. It had FireFox2.0.0.20 and Opera 9.10, and Comodo 2.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    Keep in mind however that md5 only isn't enough to ensure a file is legit, since some people have found the way to create corrupted files with the right size and md5.
    That is true for custom hacking. You can modify some code and add junk until it becomes the same, but it's something you have to do by hand.

Md5 isn't torrent safe, but it should be fine for demo sites. I'm mostly concerned about installer packages I find on websites like Brothersoft. Some of their stuff is questionable to say the least. The problems I've had with sites like that is bonus exes added to the original installer. I guess I have no way of knowing that the original program hasn't been tampered with as well, but I don't really think that's the case. Most of the time the installer just has additional programs added.