Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft

Originally posted by t94xr@Oct 18 2002, 06:06 AM
    No Infact you are allowed to post Microsoft software...

Anything that no body would have normally in todays systems...

MS Office 4.5
    Windows 3.1x
    MS-DOS

There was a court case a couple of years ago, this guy was selling cheap 486s with Windows 3.1, and Microsoft Corp of his country went berzerk... Someone high up in Microsoft basically said, its now abandonware and is legal to distribute on PCs freely...
    As these are 'obsolete' software why bother with licences. Once something is classified as Abandonware its under i think its GPL.
    If distributing Microsoft software is illegal, hell who uses MS-DOS anymore???
    Even if it is abandonware the copyrights do not expire.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

graue

Originally posted by t94xr@Oct 18 2002, 06:06 AM
    Once something is classified as Abandonware its under i think its GPL.
    If distributing Microsoft software is illegal, hell who uses MS-DOS anymore???
    You do not appear to understand abandonware. Abandonware is basically 'old warez,' and it is not legal to distribute commercial software even if it's not sold anymore. The only reason abandonware is so common is because the copyright-owning companies don't really have any reason to try to sue people who distribute such things, because they aren't making money from them anyway. But unless the company who owns the copyright specifically makes it public domain or freeware (which has happened in a few cases of very old products), it is technically illegal.

By GPL, do you mean the GNU General Public Licence? That has absolutely nothing to do with abandonware. It is a software licence for open-source programs.

No one ever said distributing Microsoft software is illegal. Microsoft has made quite a few small free programs, such as their Video Editor, an old Windows 3.x program I still use to make animations today, and I think it's completely legal to distribute such things as that.

As for MS-DOS, no one uses it by itself anymore, yet I use the DOS prompt from Windows for tasks like copying files. It is very powerful. You can make a list of all mp3 files on your C: drive with the following DOS command:

dir/s/a/b/o:n c:\*.mp3 > mp3list.txt

Let us see you do that in Windows Explorer. Heh heh heh.

Christian

Don't you think you could make old microsoft (and others) versions available if people who don't use it anymore are offering you for free an existing version with a licence number associated to it.

In that case oldversion.com could become an exhange platform for not only for freeware but also commercialized versions.

Originally posted by Christian@Oct 23 2002, 02:51 AM
    Don't you think you could make old microsoft (and others) versions available if people who don't use it anymore are offering you for free an existing version with a licence number associated to it.

In that case oldversion.com could become an exhange platform for not only for freeware but also commercialized versions.
    A license number is only allowed one installation, not multiple. If someone donates commercial software with a license key we are only able to distribute the number of old versions with as many unique license keys that we have.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

graue said:

In windows 98[SE]/ME:

Start > Find > Files or Folders.
    Named: *.mp3
    Look in: C: (hit "enter")
    File > Save Search.

It doesn't save it to a text document, but you can click the FND file that it does save to and get the filelisting. PLUS, it will automatically update itself when you add or remove mp3 files (or any filetype you may be searching, for that matter). Let's see DOS do that (heh heh heh).

Beta

Originally posted by Guest@Nov 5 2002, 11:42 PM
    graue said:

In windows 98[SE]/ME:

Start > Find > Files or Folders.
    Named: *.mp3
    Look in: C: (hit "enter")
    File > Save Search.

It doesn't save it to a text document, but you can click the FND file that it does save to and get the filelisting. PLUS, it will automatically update itself when you add or remove mp3 files (or any filetype you may be searching, for that matter). Let's see DOS do that (heh heh heh).
    That's funny! :lol:

Beta

For Microsoft downloads go to the Microsoft Download Center.

If anyone is reading this, there are 3 files which I know can be distributed freely (I checked the license) that are on the Microsoft Office 97 CD (doesn't matter if it is Standard, Professional, or Developer). Those are the Microsoft Word 97 Viewer, Microsoft Excel 97 Viewer, and the Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Viewer. I have them and would hate to have to upload them if ABlix had an Office 97 CD. If you find anything on your Microsoft Office 97 CD, check the license first and upload it please.

Last edited by lightsup55 at Nov 19 2002, 12:23 AM

t94xr

we should start up our own old versions site dedicated at abandonware. we'll make the admin here look like a scaredy cat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by t94xr@Nov 18 2002, 07:51 AM
    we should start up our own old versions site dedicated at abandonware. we'll make the admin here look like a scaredy cat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun getting sued when/if the site becomes popular.

Last edited by ABlix at Nov 18 2002, 03:23 PM
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Originally posted by graue@Oct 19 2002, 09:02 PM
    As for MS-DOS, no one uses it by itself anymore, yet I use the DOS prompt from Windows for tasks like copying files. It is very powerful. You can make a list of all mp3 files on your C: drive with the following DOS command:

I wouldn't so boldly say NO-ONE uses it, but MSDOS is too limmited to do anything with, so maybe noone in their right mind uses it.

DOS commands can be entered into the registry to show up in the right-click context menu, so yes, that can be done from Explorer.