Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft

Ric Gates

Originally posted by lightsup55@Nov 6 2002, 10:07 AM
    For Microsoft downloads (even MS-DOS 6.22 is can be downloaded, first make sure that you are searching by product, second select MS-DOS as the operating system, then select MS-DOS v6.22 as the product, last select Show Results for All Downloads, click the link "MS-DOS 6.2 Step-up Files", now download the file), go to the Microsoft Download Center.

I so want to rag on you... it's hard to fight the temptation... I'll just say - You don't even know what DOS is! You probably think that having a boot disk means you have a copy of MSDOS.

Step-up is not the same as Set-Up...

Notes for MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up Users
    ===================================
    The MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up updates your system from MS-DOS 6, 6.2
    or 6.21 to MS-DOS 6.22.

IMPORTANT: To use the MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up, you must be running the
    released version of MS-DOS 6, MS-DOS 6.2 or MS-DOS 6.21.
    If you are running an older version of MS-DOS, a beta
    version of MS-DOS, or any version of MS-DOS that was
    modified by a hardware vendor, you cannot use the MS-DOS 6.22
    Step-Up. To install MS-DOS 6.22 on such a system, obtain the
    full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.

==================================

Also these files and others are available on Microsoft's ftp site, so you don't have to jump through the hoops at search.microshaft.com

The old MSDOS files that come on the Win95 CD are available at ftp.microsoft.com in the /Softlib/MSLFILES directory, and the file is called Olddos.exe

You cannot download a boot disk from Microsoft, and you certainly can't download ALL the MSDOS files of any version from Microsoft.

--
    | Ric

Beta

Originally posted by Ric Gates@Nov 18 2002, 09:57 PM
    I so want to rag on you... it's hard to fight the temptation... I'll just say - You don't even know what DOS is! You probably think that having a boot disk means you have a copy of MSDOS.

Step-up is not the same as Set-Up...
    Sorry, I looked at it wrong. I must have not been think at the time.

It's like the error in this sentence:

Please pass the
    the bread.

You might have read it as "Please pass the bread."
    The word "the" repeats twice. It sort of tricks the mind in thinking that there is only one word "the" and so that's how people read it.

It's my mistake and I apologize. But I do know how to use DOS,

Jan Reznicek

High, friends. Very nice thread, isn`t it? I`m very interested in this matter because I want to collect not only "obsolete" programs but " obscure" ones. You know what I mean (MS and o.) The copyright is a problem, I know. Is there a solution? A collectors webpage?

Ric Gates

Originally posted by lightsup55@Nov 19 2002, 12:22 AM

It's my mistake and I apologize. But I do know how to use DOS,
    Sorry, I see too many microsoft links and I start seeing red....
    But DOS 6.22 is a little bigger than 2 megs, and it's not FAT 32 compatible anyway.

I found the Word 97 viewers at ftp.microsoft.com in the /Softlib/MSLFILES directory...
    Wd97vw32.exe Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000
    Wdvw9716.exe Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 for Windows 16-bit Operating Systems

--
    | Ric

Penelope Whippenbottom

Back to the original topic...

You can always try 602pro office suite (or what ever they call it now).
    www.software602.com/products/pcs/
    Office compatible, though occasionally there are some formating errors. Usually minor things like the print range being changed, or cell sizes will need to be stretched back to the size you want.

Compared to Open Office, 602 has a somewhat simpler interface which is nice if you don't want/need all the options. It has - word proccessor, spreadsheet, and photo manipulation programs included, and is only about a 10mb download(compared to a 50mb for OO)

Basically for a lot of home users it will do the job, and not take forever to download...

Actually it would be a good addition to this site, as they used to keep an older version or two on the site...

epp_b

Are you sure that 602 is MS Office compatible? I've downloaded and installed it before, and it opens Corel compatible files, but not MS Office. I use OO (openoffice), and I find that it is *VERY* extensive for a free office suite. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to pay Microsloth big bucks for their office suite.

Oh, and OO also has a few bugs comparible to 602 -- including formatting bugs when using MS Office files.

Last edited by epp_b at Nov 24 2002, 03:45 PM

hp46168

The find files thing is an interesting one, and one I have researched. The downfall of this is that YOU CAN'T PRINT IT OUT! YOU CAN"T EVEN import it into MS Excel and dress it up and make it look pretty to print out...

tonydt0

Originally posted by ABlix+Oct 11 2002, 09:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ABlix @ Oct 11 2002, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--darkwind@Oct 11 2002, 09:30 PM
    as soon as I boot my other computer back up I will tell you the program, but I know a program that is just like word, excel, ect. that they give away for free online, I will post it on monday, hopefully with the site too.
    staroffice?

www.sun.com/star

I think made by SUN, I use that with Linux

They have a windows version too I think, DOC compliant. [/b][/quote]
    everything on THIS website is ILLIGAL

tonydt0

everything on THIS website is ILLIGAL

tonydt0

you can put a copy of any windows program even 95 ,95 ,xp
    but they must register it online
    but they can copy and then register online