Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oldversion Forum Upgraded! - and no more Spam :)

Hello everyone

As you may have noticed, the forum has now been upgraded to the latest version of vbulletin. Also we are going to be making some changes to combat spam and once again make this forum a tidy place, unlike my bedroom

Signature's for registered users have also been disabled for now until further notice

Beta

Well, for what is about spam, looks like "they" are back :/

Super Moderator

I believe the only way to solve the spamming is to use a captcha image. Most boards are using those today.
    Then again, not sure how much this forum is used these days, except for spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by locustfurnace View Post
    ... not sure how much this forum is used these days, except for spammers.
    Why would anyone want to? Much like going for a swim in polluted river or sea, you have to be very keen!! Saw this guy the other day he was talking about dissecting a whale & he pulled 28 shopping bags out of its gut. In some States whales are regarded as toxic waste due to the fact they store chemicals & toxins in their blubber, after swimming in polluted seas this can reach significant concentrations. Saw some whales the other day, fantastic! I think they were humpbacks but I'm no expert, they are an impressively big animal!! What a pity they & we have to swim in some of that S**T

I keep checking in to see if the admins have done anything about the spammers, only to be greeted by multiple pages of new spam every day. This is the first time, in weeks, that I found legitimate posts buried in the mudpile.... (I recently used this forum as an example of what happens if you let it get out of control).

Have the owner and administrators given up?

Super Moderator

I believe they have.
    I've only recently been cleaning up the spam. It has been years since I posted here, but thought I would give it some help, starting to think it's fruitless.

It's a shame.
    vBulletin is fairly sophisticated forum software.
    There are lots of modifications and add-ons available that will stop over 90% of the bots.
    Or
    New members could be screened before being permitted to post. Most of these bots will have IP addresses that resolve to non-english speaking countries. The majority will be in the stopforumspam.com database.

Administrator

Hello people,im back again,not been on much for a while,had major problems with the joints and the shoulders have been horrendous,hopefully will be able to help clean the spam a little,it does get disheartening though,good to see you here locustfurnace hope you are keeping well mate.
    simply me

I stopped coming to thie site when Alex "upgraded" to VB4...

This s/w is garbage and not nearly as good as the older VB stuff.... Its slower in loading,etc......... (Smilies look like crap,etc)

I was all ready to try and help with the spam but then VB4 was put on here! (I think this is a colourless piece of trash;horrible compared to what was here before!!)

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...ldversion.com/

Look at that,MUCH NICER........ I am on 1 VBB site still running VB2.3 and they are excellent!! (Speed,etc)

There was NO REASON to put this on here when what was here WAS MUCH BETTER..

No reason to upgrade ...... (NEWER IS NOT BETTER)

Quite sad that people have lost that good sense they once had of WHATS GOOD!
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-19-2011 at 01:09 AM.