Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quicktime

[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue] :huh:

Hello, I am new to this board and I was trying to view some movie trailers, when up pops this window that says I will need to download this version of QuickTime, an Apple product. Well, this software has attached an icon in my time of day window tray, that runs during my start-up and I don't want that. I have tried placing it in my disabled start up items folder, but it won't allow itself to be moved there, the most it will do is make a copy there, which I certainly don't need. Also, when I right click on the icon, there is no option to disable it from running during my computer start-up. I don't want to totally uninstall the program, since a lot of video uses this program. Any help??? Thanx!!! :huh:

Super Moderator

you need to give alittle more info, such as the verison of the Operating System you are running. Since some fixes are handled differently.

click the Start, RUN
    type msconfig

this will bring up the microsoft configuration utility.
    to go the STARTUP tab (last tab)
    look for any referrence(s) to quicktime. uncheck it.

restart computer. and it will not load again,
    now each time you load QT it will admend itself and force itself to once again, take a spot in the System tray.
    so do this procedure each time.
    once loaded QT, look for something in the preferrences to disable the load at startup option

Super Moderator

you need to give alittle more info, such as the verison of the Operating System you are running. Since some fixes are handled differently.

click the Start, RUN
    type msconfig

this will bring up the microsoft configuration utility.
    to go the STARTUP tab (last tab)
    look for any referrence(s) to quicktime. uncheck it.

restart computer. and it will not load again,
    now each time you load QT it will admend itself and force itself to once again, take a spot in the System tray.
    so do this procedure each time.
    once loaded QT, look for something in the preferrences to disable the load at startup option

Thanks for your reply! I am using Windows 98. I don't have all the other specs right now, because I am at a different PC.

Default Quicktime tray icon remove - old version quicktime

Stop Quicktime loading at startup once and for all.
    I have tried removing from registry and mscofig but
    nothing worked. The following worked for me;
    Rename the following files:
    QTPlugin.ocx to QTPluginXX.ocx
    qttask.exe to xqttaskXX.exe
    The files are at Windows/system (For WinME)
    The annoying useless qucktime icon never appeared again
    You can re-install the newer version of quick if required later.
    So far no problems. Try at your own risk.

Welcome to OV henry!!

Quicktime alternative is also a good program

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Welcome to OV henry!!

Quicktime alternative is also a good program
    maybe a good idea dude when ya post stuff like this to actually say what quick time alternative is your referring to and add details instead of just the one liners

Quote Originally Posted by straight talker View Post
    maybe a good idea dude when ya post stuff like this to actually say what quick time alternative is your referring to and add details instead of just the one liners
    info about quicktime alternative here:
    http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

Basically: it's less intrusive than the original quicktime.
    There's also a Real Alternative for another intrusive app: real player.

Quicktime Alternative gives more features and is better integrated, eg: you can use your favorite media player if it supports directshow filters, eg: media player classic, zoom player, bs player.

With the original Quicktime I think that you can't even play your movie full screen...
    ))

For these reasons -and the others that I forgot about-, I think that a link to Quicktime Alternative should be shown on the Quicktime page, because it's such a great alternative.
    An old version of Quicktime Alternative -based on qt6- is available on fileforum.betanews.com. Its installation weights ~8MB where as the latest qt7 based weights 13MB.

To tell you the whole truth:
    I'm using mplayer, as I found it to be the fastest, smallest, with best quality & features media player!
    I use it on a PIII 800 Mhz with 128MB ram and its quite fast to use.
    Caveat: the power of mplayer lies in the command line, so you will have to read some documentation to unleash this power. However, there are graphical user interfaces available: MPUI, and another whose name I forgot, maybe MPlayerGUI.

VLC is also quite good, but mplayer is faster to use.

MPlayer is also available for Linux and Mac OS (with a nice GUI).
    Last edited by norz; 08-29-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by norz View Post
    MPlayer is also available for Linux and Mac OS (with a nice GUI).
    I use MPlayer on Slackware GNU/Linux as well as on OS X (Tiger). I prefer Xine though when running under Slackware GNU/Linux. As far as being smaller than Quicktime, not certain about that. Considering that to download Mplayer (unzipped is 18.5megs), you will also need to download the essential codec package (unzipped is 23megs), and you may also need a font package, then add on a gui and a skin or two... Thats one big program. But it will handle almost any audio/video you can toss at it.