Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

First, I am going to guess you could make a new close .wav file sound. and apply it to different events. you might want to check http://soundamerica.com for sample sounds. Now, if you want to make this work, you are going to need to do some detective work. - again, all tools should be already installed in windows, if not, they can be made to be installed via the windows CD.

one of the best tools i use for detecting spyware and crippling some programs from doing things i dont want them to do is. a windows program called System Information. It should be located in the system folder.
    Start/Program Files/Accessories/System Tools/ System Information
    or you can type on the RUN command
    MSINFO32

to make this effective, be sure you shut down ALL programs that are not necessary, shutdown the anti-virus, spyware blockers, firewalls, web browsers, icq, aol aim,... everything, disconnect from the internet,
    you dont want much running at all. - it makes it easier and less confusing with less running.
    now, this requires a good memory - or a printer
    with system information loaded, select the Software Environment, pick the 16bit modules, load it, look it over to see what is running, what belongs to who and whatever else. then go pick the 32bit modules, look it over rem it all.
    Hint: this is why running less is best!

now, after you rem what is loaded and what was not, load the dial-up and connect to the internet, but dont load any AOL , or web browsers or nothing else just make a simple connection to the internet.

now go back to the 16 bit modules and then the 32bit modules.

look for the rnapp, lights and whatever else is NEWLY loaded. the newly load dlls and whatever else will belong to the dial-up. there will probably be several different program attached to it.
    disconnect the dial up, refresh the modules, see what disappeared. now you should have some idea, of what you MIGHT be able to assign events too. try assigning events to a couple of them, 1 at a time, or 2 at a time, and repeat process of connecting disconencting (hope ISP doesnt get mad!! LOL)

it can be a slow process, it SOUNDS in this text alot harder then it really is. thats because i have to explain alot of steps which when you are doing it you don't really think of them. Alot of programs call up more programs, usually DLL, which are library files. it might be posisble that by assinging a event to one of those, when they shut down it might sound an alarm

OR I could have a GOOD weekend install some silly little app that puts flashing lights for the modem on screen & event that !! LOL

Thanks but a bit too pushy with the adverts here woke me up to the fact that I hadnt started my popup stopper though and I didnt stick around for long enough to find out if they wanted something like MONEY<_<
    I usefindsounds.com

hope ISP doesnt get mad&#33;&#33; LOL
    I come from the land of the almost free: &#036;10/month (&#036;5 in your money I suspect) internet access free local ph calls
    it can be a slow process
    THATS ME
    Will post again have a good one.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow@Aug 1 2003, 12:21 AM
    Thanks but a bit too pushy with the adverts here woke me up to the fact that I hadnt started my popup stopper though and I didnt stick around for long enough to find out if they wanted something like MONEY<_<
    it can be a slow process
    THATS ME
    Will post again have a good one.
    They have pop-up ads there? sorry about that. Since i dont run javascripting nor ActiveX so i never get pop-up ads. so i had not thought if they would since pop-ups dont bother me - i dont get em&#33;

they dont ask for money, last time i looked they had not, it was all free downloads. BUT that was years and years ago. so who knows.

Yes, you could install an app, but thats just another resource hogging, disk space wasting program, when you could try figuring it out, and save some resources and HD space and learn alot about your system at the same time.

AAhh Mum have I been punished enough yet :huh:
    Re:Post1
    The simpler the better
    lol

I stayed in Did my homework learnt to back up and restore my registry
    Tripled the amount of reg backups windows now stores
    Assigned enough events to hold the olympics
    Have .dll .tsp .exe .ocx coming out my ears&#33;
    Blew the cobwebs out of the printer with the torrent of info from SYS. INFO. & frightened the pizza delivery man with my red rimmed eyes

Still no event sound for the modem .I dont think the .dll event & although they open with modem I dont think they close (tried eventing the .dll opening out of curiosity didnt work)
    SYS. INFO. doesnt see lights.exe
    Reversed the order of sys info scans eg. modem connected-scan-disconnect-scan to see what closes, didnt seem to be anything closing&#33;
    Obviously apps do but sys info doesnt see it
    Tried eventing Rnaapp/SystemQuestion as I hoped rnaapp calls up the dialog box

ReestablishConnection Reconnect
    Connection To Cancel
    <NAME>
    was terminated.Do you want to reconnect
    & I hoped SystemQuestion (in sound events)refers to dialog boxes like above. NO

BTW found a free version(maybe nagware) though I havnt installed yet
    Duax98 Lite
    or
    Modemsta FAQ

A .exe looks the most likely to event especially 1 of the above. lol
    I noticed most of the above type programs replace lights.exe with their own version

Super Moderator

well thats good learning even if nothing came about with it, maybe one day you will hit upon the golden lantern and it will show the path.

I cant think of anything else to try....yet
    been busy setting up a shell account for a user of my email server, teaching the finer arts of Unix to her.
    plus a smoorgasboard of others.

maybe the lights dont display since you dont have the modem set up to display the modem lights on connection??
    it is under the modem propertys

I cant think of anything else to try....yet
    That sounds ominous

Thanks for the push anway
    No problem with the modem lights displaying in the system tray what I meant was that although the lights.exe is running (& displaying in tray) MSINFO32 cannot actually see it as a running process

Super Moderator

ok.
    As I had said before in an earlier posting, its tough to set this up without the "benefits" of a dial-up access anymore.
    and the modem is stashed in a box with old, no longer needed devices.

If i were able to test run through these settings i might be able to pin-point it. but for now i am not set up with a modem - which would be simple to plug back in and find a modem cable (for external modem).

maybe I should push the dial-in server project up sooner on the list of things to do. maybe....

guess for now you will have to find an alternative or solve the mystery via other routes.

No worries
    Thanks again
    Will post if I find more.

Super Moderator

yes, if you do solve your riddle, and find a worth while app, post it, since this thread has gotten long and might lead someone on a path only to turn up empty handed later on. - with no final solution at the end ( of the thread).

this way anyone who follows all the way down this thread might also benefit.

I agree if they have managed to wade through it they deserve something I hope they get a couple of laughs I have (& some tears) and some courage to explore.
    Some good registry tutoring here :www.pcnineoneone.com

Though I am surprised at you, it must be a typo, surely AND was supposed to read OR :P
    yes, if you do solve your riddle, and find a worth while app, post it
    Or a laugh (you have to) B) The REAL Homer Simpson &#33;&#33;&#33;