Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ric Gates

Originally posted by Ric Gates@Nov 26 2002, 11:06 PM
    Ultimate BB is pretty good, but I don't like it's default icons: too XP-like and hard to decipher.
    Oops, I meant phpBB 2.0.3, though UBB is good too.

--
    | Ric

We tried phpBB at first but there were some bugs we encountered and after two reinstallations of it we decided it would be better to use Invision Board which I find great, except for a couple bugs as well - but that should all be well in 1.1 (they are in Beta 4 waiting for Final release). UBB doesn't use PHP which would kill the server.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

collie

why does ubb kill the server by not using php?

what does it use instead?

Originally posted by collie@Dec 4 2002, 10:13 PM
    why does ubb kill the server by not using php?

what does it use instead?
    It uses Perl and the posts are not stored in a mySQL database. The server that this is hosted on does not have an SCSI hard drive, but rather a 7200RPM. The amount of write data would be too much as the posts would be stored in some protected file instead of a database. The server would end up being so slow or going down every so often.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Beta

I think that <a href="#top" onClick="scrollTo(0,0);return false;"> is a better code because you can specify where you want it to go.

epp_b

How did we get to how PHPBB would bog your server from this thread????

Usually, when you create DHTML menus, you can create a "buffer" for javascript-behind browsers (ironically, Netscape is one of them).

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Gates
    I don&#39;t get what h34r: is supposed to mean, a title attribute would be helpful - but now that&#39;s really off topic.
    h34r: is sorta like a ninja. :blink: