Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    justdrop

so far I'm down to two; winamp and music match

which one is better and which version is the best?

Super Moderator

Best what? audio decoder? visualization, skinnable?
    There is a few more which i would recommend giving a try.
    Foobar2000 Might not be fancy looking, but its is most likey the most advanced audio decoder player around, it was designed by several audio developers, one of them used to develop the plug-ins for Winamp.
    QCD has the looks an many features that you will find in some of the players that cost. And also has some interesting features on its own.
    Both are free.

• Quintessential Player (FREEWARE)
      Similar to MMJB, except its FREE. freeform skinning and plentiful choices of plugins QCD can be as simple or feature rich as you like. It knows its place and won't try to take over your system. QCD is as user friendly as we can make it, but still hardcore enough for the pros.
    • Foobar2000 (FREEWARE)
      Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform.
      Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC .
      Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives

FreakyT

Personnally, I would recommend Winamp over Musicmatch. As for the version, that depends on your computer. If you have a fast enough computer, go with Version 5.01. (NOT 5.02, which is buggier.) For a slower computer, I recommend version 2.95.

Matt

I have WinAMP 5.02 on my computer and I have no problem with it. It might have some problems on other computers.. :blink:
    It works fine with me

guest_Tom

I have both Foobar and Winamp on my PC. Winamp rarely gets a look in. and I only use it for the MEXP plug-in when I have a party or two!

Foobar is also the best tagger you can get, has extensive music database facilities and rips direct to whatever format you want if you download a CLI encoder. Also has internal ripping support for FAAC, Ogg and Nero's AAC Codec.

This is a Alternative download page which has plenty of plug-in ideas.

This is the Third Party plug-in site.

Download the Special Version by the way.

myfriendwilly7

Never used foobar; think i'll try it.

As for MMJB vs. Winamp, i far prefer MMJB. I regularly convert to mp3s from wav files, and mmjb does this wonderfully. In fact, i would argue that mmjb does everything winamp does plus more, and does it better or at least faster. Besides that, Winamp's code is a pig. It hogs memory and processor time terribly. And i think musicmatch just looks better. (The newest musicmatch version is bordering on piggy, however. Get an old one, thats what this site is about. Go with 7.1; it does most everything 8.2 does, plus supports wma.)

One note: Winamp has alot of playback-tweaking plugins that musicmatch does not. You can mess with pitch, ambience, reverb, and all sorts of stuff with the different plugins. Some of these arent that good however. Anyway, these plugins are the only reason i ever use winamp.

"The Big Willy"

BunkFace

In reply to # 1:

I highly recommend the latest version of Winamp5. Very stable, cool features, lots of skins, fast performance, kick-ass.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by BunkFace@Apr 9 2004, 07:11 AM
    I highly recommend the latest version of Winamp5. Very stable, cool features, lots of skins, fast performance, kick-ass.
    You must have missed this alert on the lastest version of winamp
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=2272

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Apr 9 2004, 11:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Apr 9 2004, 11:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BunkFace@Apr 9 2004, 07:11 AM
    You must have missed this alert on the lastest version of winamp
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=2272[/b][/quote]
    Yes, but that only effects Winamp 5.03 and eariler. Nullsoft releaced Winamp 5.03a as a security fix to that vulnarability last week.

lies

i&#39;m looking for an mp3 player.All this is new for me so if there is already a topic about it i&#39;m sorry.
    Can somebody help me find it?
    thanks Lies x