Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Juno

Recently at Freedomlist, I've seen some requests for various versions of Juno software.

Even though Juno is still offering free services, they are no longer "pushing" them. It takes a little effort to find the software on the Juno website without signing up for a premium service. Other people simply prefer the older versions because of resource problems or OS compatability.

I've been sending them to http://www.junoaccmail.org/download.htm , but wonder if you would consider them worthwhile.

Last edited by Pete at Oct 13 2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Pete@Oct 13 2002, 09:49 AM
    Recently at Freedomlist, I've seen some requests for various versions of Juno software.

Even though Juno is still offering free services, they are no longer "pushing" them. It takes a little effort to find the software on the Juno website. Some people simply prefer the older versions because of resource problems or OS compatability.

I've been sending them to http://www.junoaccmail.org/download.htm , but wonder if you would consider them worthwhile.
    I would not mind hosting it, but what is the point if it is on that site? :blink:
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

I would not mind hosting it, but what is the point if it is on that site?
    One stop shopping....easier, more obvious URL.

Originally posted by Pete@Oct 13 2002, 09:54 AM
    I would not mind hosting it, but what is the point if it is on that site?
    One stop shopping....easier, more obvious URL.
    Okay, I guess it will be up in less then 10 minutes.

Alex
    Co-Webmaster
    http://www.oldversion.com/

Last edited by ABlix at Oct 13 2002, 09:55 AM
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Can someone inform me of the latest version of Juno?

Thanks.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

I haven't checked it out, but I think version 6 is about to be released or perhaps it's already been released. Rumors indicate that it's similar to Netzero and uses 3rd party e-mail clients for mail instead of it's own software.

If true, one of the advantages of any of the old versions (through v 5) will be that they provide an e-mail solution for people without internet access. Version 1.49 provides an e-mail solution for people with Windows 3.1.

Last edited by Pete at Oct 13 2002, 10:16 AM

Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

JunoJunkie

Originally posted by ABlix@Oct 13 2002, 10:02 AM
    Can someone inform me of the latest version of Juno?
    AFAIK Juno 6.1.2 is the latest release. But it does not seem to be available as a stand-alone download. They are now steering ppl to a file called Juno QS or Quick Start. After downloading and installing QS it connects and retrieves the full app. I'm not sure if the full app will even work without QS installed.

BTW, if you ever run across a copy of Juno 1.0 please post it. That would make a nice find. The earliest version I've seen is 1.49 (thanks to pete). And that version has a 1998 date, but 1.0 goes all the way back to 1996, the beginning of Juno.

In any case, best of luck with your site, ABlix. It's a great idea.

Mr Larry

I have been using Juno version 4 for the past few years, and have not had any problems with it. Users of version 5 (which has a lot of new features) have informed me that they would like to DOWNGRADE back to version 4 and ask me where they could find it, since Juno refuses to provide any version except 5. This site indicates that there is a version 6 available somewhere, but I can not find it on the Juno.com website.

I agree that version 4 is less troublesome than version 5. However, version 5 has better e-mail enhancements.

Version 6, may be off topic for an "Oldversion" message board. BUT:

I'm not sure that version 6 has been "officially" released yet, so use with caution, it may not be ready for prime time yet. I had to look very hard to find a direct link on the Juno website.

Having said that:
    http://dl.juno.com/pub/juno/quickstart/juno.exe

I haven't installed it yet, but rumors indicate that it's very similar to Netzero, they've even opened the POP/SMTP servers to third party e-mail software. E-mail setup instructions are at:
    http://www.juno.com/support/email/email_setup.html
    Note: The SMTP is blocked unless you are using a Juno or Netzero connection (I have Juno mail working with Outlook Express).