Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Current Version

Eric

I think that oldversion.com should also hold the current version of the programs they host. I just think it would be convenient to come to one place to get the latest version of all your favorite programs.

Super Moderator

I can think of 1 problem with that, some old version are no longer around, ie, napster (til Dec when Roxio reopens the service - but will prolly use diff clients)
    There exists plenty of places that host new versions though.
    Most people who want new verson can upgrade via the program's built in upgrade option, OR go to a place such as CNet.com or tucows.com or zdnet.com or rocketdownloads.com, the list is endless.
    But there are not many places that host old versions. Most that do are MAC based anyhow.

lzw

I'm against it for 2 reasons....

- it would only bennefit collectors, people who say "it is my favourite program in the whole world and I want every version!"

- bandwidth.... Having a current version becomes a defacto mirror if for no other reason than search engines will find it! Like people would download the newest version of getright from here and then send money to headlight software to register (in effect, becomming a backup server) and that is not fair to oldversion.com while they pay for the cost.

Linking to the homepage for the newest version whenever possible is the best way to go because it is fair to everyone! The author has a chance to gain a registered user of the latest version and oldversion.com gains popularity for carrying the full revision history of some of the most famous shareware programs ever created!

Super Moderator

very true.
    just as you dont go to a USED CAR dealer and say "where are this years models? you should sell them as well". or to an Antique store looking for this years model of silverware.

This is not a shareware site with reviews and suggestion ballots and the rest. There is ample of those.

The reason people find this site if for an OLD VERSION. They dont come here lookin for the newst apps around.
    New version's have a limited shelf life, while oldversion's never go out of date, ( due to they are already outdated&#33

Yeah, bandwidth is a huge issue. This month we went through 1TB (1000GB) of bandwidth for July. We are working to see if we can get any mirrors to help cover our bandwidth costs.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Super Moderator

have to check out Planetmirror? they might offer some space,
    http://public.planetmirror.com/
    or
    ibiblio
    http://www.ibiblio.org/

I cant say they can help, but they do mirror alot of software and maybe they will help out, who knows, but always worth a look into

CPInteract

True about the bandwidth. People shouldn't be lazy and just go find their current version since it is out there. But old versions, it is quite difficult to find, let alone, gone. And there is where oldversion.com takes place. h34r: B)