Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Aol/norton

any idea what version will not cause this problem? i think the newer version is 5.2. i'm running norton antivirus 2003.

thanks

Super Moderator

are you meaning AOL the online service, or AOL IMS, the messenger service?
    Since i dont use either, i am unfamiliar with the version numbers for each.

Which are you wanting to exchange out, the anti-virus, or AOL?

CALM

Norton conflicts with EVERYTHING! :angry:
    I have no idea why it is so highly rated but I have never been able to use it without problems. Have talked to others with the same problems with it. Dunno why but it messes with all my computers BADLY. :angry:
    McAfee gives me no problems. I used to use CAI with no problems and Really Liked It but not sure if they still have AV.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Aug 4 2003, 12:03 AM
    are you meaning AOL the online service, or AOL IMS, the messenger service?
    Since i dont use either, i am unfamiliar with the version numbers for each.

Which are you wanting to exchange out, the anti-virus, or AOL?
    I meant that AOL's messenger conflicts with NAV. I don't use AOL as my ISP, but my boyfriend does, so we chat on AOL messenger (AIM).

NAV gives me error messages every couple minutes that the messenger scanners are not working, even if I disable NAV. I had this problem with MSN messenger's newest version, but when I uninstalled and got back 4.6, the problem went away. So I tried with AOL, to get their older version but I still had the same problem.

Super Moderator

Maybe you might want to switch to an all-in-one chat client, such as Trillian, which does MSN, AOL, ICQ in the same window. then you do not have to run so many chat programs.
    Or replace AOL's ims with their other chat program - ICQ.
    but switching to icq means new contact list and what not, and doesnt work for chatting to those on AOL's IMS.
    But the Trillian might be the best bet for you,

Or switch out Norton's for another anti-virus program. It will all depend on which you view as a higher priority/importance.
    the version of Nortons, or the version of MSN.

JaSoN

get rid of NAV and go to McAfee.com and subscribe to Virus Scan Online and Personal Firewall Plus. I gaurauntee this will fix any conflicts with AIM. All you have to do is Firewall will alert you that AIM wants access to the internet. all you have to do is click on grant full access.

Note: it will alert you for every internet based program once you download it. (internet explorer, outlook, other messenging services, etc.)