Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CPInteract

Should get some program that lets you resume your download place and boost up the download speed at the same time.

i.e. Download Accelerator (has a lot of spywares)
    but something with no spywares.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CPInteract@Aug 18 2003, 04:30 PM
    Should get some program that lets you resume your download place and boost up the download speed at the same time.

i.e. Download Accelerator (has a lot of spywares)
    but something with no spywares.
    are you wanting software for downloading?

Gozilla is a download resumer.
    GetRight is the same
    both are available on the main site.

JohnT

Another full-featured one that is extemely reliable is .....StarDownloader

CPInteract

Oh there was getitnow <_<

I miss the Download Accelerator Beta that had no spyware.

Dookie

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Aug 18 2003, 08:32 PM

are you wanting software for downloading?

Gozilla is a download resumer.
    GetRight is the same
    both are available on the main site.
    Carefull with Gozilla.

Several versions ( 3.1 did for definate ) record where your leeching from and pass the data back to GoZilla.com . I think the excuse they used was "We use it for building a search engine". I cant find their "search zilla" function on their webpage now. Perhaps its no longer used.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Dookie@Aug 21 2003, 01:02 PM
    I cant find their "search zilla" function on their webpage now. Perhaps its no longer used.
    Yes, they did in fact have a search engine. which I had not used gozilla in about a year or more now. So I am not sure if they still have this offering. But it used to be on search.gozilla.com
    I do not see a reason for worrying about legit programs you are downloading, such as files from tucows or Cnet or any of the other large repositories.
    It did help out when a file you were looking for was running slow or on a dead server. Gozilla would then offer you an alternative location (mirror site) to download the file you were wanting.

nails

if you need a download resumer, you&#39;re probably using ie. mozilla and opera both have this function built in. plus they&#39;re free...

but if you cant be bothered getting one of these, use freshdownload , cos its got no ads or anything...

i think the url is freshdevices.com - or something like that....

Super Moderator

Originally posted by nails@Sep 3 2003, 09:17 AM
    opera both have this function built in. plus they&#39;re free...

Opera is free to download, but is not FREE. its shareware, Mozilla is free, and all others built from Mozilla are generally free. But for downloading, I am not sure they have the benefits that a download manager has. Such as being able to bookmark the file and download it later, or parital downloads, or even splitting the download into smaller sections or the ability to add mirrors sites of the same file and then chose the fastest download.
    Since i&#39;ve parted ways with dial-up access a long time ago, download managers really dont ever get installed anymore.

i think the url is freshdevices.com - or something like that....
    Yep :-)http://www.freshdevices.com/
    I to like Freshdownload for the lack of ads/spyware & it is excellent for the novice user, its drag & drop basket did tend to crash I.E occasionally though I would still recommend it. I&#39;m now trying "Net Transport" because of the cooler sounding name lol.
    Has more features though not as newb friendly the most useful of which is the way you can dedicate some bandwidth to downloading and some to browsing & it hasnt conflicted with my other apps yet .Havent seen any ads or spy&#39; though maybe someone else could comment if the chinese goverment has access to my files :-)
    I like it :-)Net Transport Official Site
    BTW I hope I dont have to mention theyre both Freeware

Super Moderator

Star Downloader
    http://www.stardownloader.com/
    Star Downloader is a download accelerator that can increase download speeds by up to 400 percent. Unlike similar applications, it is completely free. It does not contain any banner ads or spy-ware.