Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    nails

well well well.. ive been enjoying using msn messenger 3.6 for a while, it does everything that i could want it to do, and its heaps faster than the latest ones and its heaps smaller.
    BUT
    today i got this in my email box.

ATTENTION: IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED FOR MSN AND WINDOWS MESSENGER USERS.

You are receiving this e-mail because you are a MSN Messenger or Windows
    Messenger Service user.

As part of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing initiative, Microsoft is
    updating the .NET Messenger Service and providing you with an important
    MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger security update.

If you are using MSN Messenger 5.0, Windows Messenger 4.7.2000, or MSN
    Messenger for Mac 3.5, or any versions higher than these, you do NOT need
    this security update. To find out which version you have, select the
    'Help' menu in Messenger, then select 'About'. If you are using an older
    version, or are not sure, please visit:
    http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx
    for an update.

NOTICE: If you are not using an updated version, you will be unable to
    continue using your MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger Service.
    :angry:

AuntBetty

<_< I hear ya&#33; I agree with ya letter.
    I&#39;m in the same situation&#33; What&#39;s worse is:
    If I erase the Messenger program, it screws up my computer every time, BUT, because I have Windows 95, my MSN is going to be defunct&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; What crap is this???&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Do I hear a "Yahoo?" :lol: If I do, I will be using up more space to get Yahoo, because I cannot erase the MSN program&#33; Which in turn screws up my computer&#33;

nails

you know, since i posted that message, i have recieved the same email 5 times. now that makes me angry.
    im just gonna keep using msn messenger 3.6 untill i cant use it any more.. then ill use trillian (you know, the multi network think:P). it works ok, and more importantly, its not made by micorsoft :P

guest_John

I am using version 4.6, as when I downloaded version 5 I had all the problems you could imagine, (using windows98), yet they want to force us to use a program thats not compatiable with the os, who do they think they are, and I have received that message over 50 times in my in box.

Dookie

I was just about to post a warning from the email I recieved, only to find that others have also read it.. ( I had 12 emails all the same message ).

So this looks like older versions of MSN will deliberately NOT be supported.

I dont want to turn this into a "lets flame Microsoft" post.
    I feel its worth pointing out tho that with the more bloatware/"features" that MS add into their warez the greater the dangers.

Interesting, as that email highlighting security as an issue doesnt ANYWHERE state what the "security flaws" are and how an end user can be comprimised .... very dubious. Newer warez such as 2000/XP are vunerable to Blaster Virus , even Direct X 9 was vunerable to attack :blink: .

My belief is the more "features" MS adds the more vunerabiities there are and thats not to mention unwanted adverts/ CPU & Memory overheads.

Given that MSN is effectively a very simplistic IRC module and they deem it vunerable then perhaps its worth considering using another MSN compatible freeware tool such as Trilian ( not that I&#39;ve ever used it )

well, its been a while, and msn 3.6 still hasnt stopped working, plus i havnt had any more emails from them.....

yep, i downloaded trillian (both the free one and i got the pro version off kazaa *just for trial purposes:P*

its not too bad. the free one&#39;s default skin isn&#39;t very good (it&#39;s quite "noisey"), but you can get some better ones from the site easily enough.... - you can even get it to look like a &#39;normal&#39; windows programme :P

oh yeah....

nails

well, its been a while, and msn 3.6 still hasnt stopped working, plus i havnt had any more emails from them.....

yep, i downloaded trillian (both the free one and i got the pro version off kazaa *just for trial purposes:P*

its not too bad. the free one&#39;s default skin isn&#39;t very good (it&#39;s quite "noisey"), but you can get some better ones from the site easily enough.... - you can even get it to look like a &#39;normal&#39; windows programme :P

oh yeah....

God of the Devil

what is the point of microsoft bullying us to use their lastist product.. i go by the words.. if it isnt broke dont fix it. whats worse is that microsofts policy is.. if its not broke.. force ppl to use the broken version. there is not point of microsoft forcing us to use their lastist products other then to get money out of us.. not meny ppl can afford to keep updating their computers and software every 3yrs and when there is no need. if it gets the job done. why do we need new pointless fetures rubed in our faces that are ether rip off of other proudcts or competley useless and dangerous.

someone should start a online partion to stop them doing this.

Gotd (again)

http://www.petitiononline.com/messold/petition.html <- sign this to make ms stop doing what they are doing

nails

only 9 signatures (incl mine)

is that all?