Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    God of the Devil

well help spread the word around we have less then 45days

Peter Manser

My wife is Deaf and Blind, and uses a Braille display using Jaws 4.01. She has difficulty with the extra graphics and controls on MSN Messenger 5.0 and 6.0 (both of which we have tried).

Because we can't turn off the extra graphics or hide the extra controls to make the newer versions easier to navigate with the keyboard (Carleeta can't use a mouse because she can't see the pointer) we want to revert to an older version until something which can be configured appropriately is available.

Email, Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger (in that order) are Carleeta's main contact with the outside world, because she can't use the TV, radio, phone, or newspapers, and she can only speak using sign language with her hands.

gotd

/me likes peter's vaild point

i do find it a shame that ppl are drawn by the eyecandy. instent messaging clients should be what they are ment for sending instent messeages. what is the point of these "new" fetaures which are not really new.. they knocked off AIM. besides you could play games with mates with 4.6 with plug-ins which was better. if you wanted to see their picture you look at their msn profile.. if you wanted to change the background you chaned the display propites.. they say you can cutsomise msn 6. ok can you customise it so it will actually work?!

gotd

can you guys spred the word about the pettiton i made please it would be a help

the link is on one of my posts :-)

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Peter Manser@Aug 28 2003, 04:58 PM
    My wife is Deaf and Blind, and uses a Braille display using Jaws 4.01. She has difficulty with the extra graphics and controls on MSN Messenger 5.0 and 6.0 (both of which we have tried).

Email, Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger (in that order) are Carleeta's main contact with the outside world, because she can't use the TV, radio, phone, or newspapers, and she can only speak using sign language with her hands.
    You might want to dump the Internet Explorer, for a text-only browser, Since it will load faster and most likely work better with the braille reader, it is called Lynx, and another is called Links, you can see a screen shot also on the site. and it is also easier to navigate, since it doesn't use a mouse, but keystrokes to navigate.
    lynx = http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm

another is called Blynx
    http://leb.net/blinux/blynx/
    "BLYNX: Lynx Support Files Tailored for Blind and Visually Handicapped Users"

inplace of Outlook for email, i find a tiny (18k) email program very useful, its a port from a unix app, called sendmail. you might find its easier to navigate (keystrokes) and no graphics very easy to handle with the braille reader.
    SendMail, scroll down half way.
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=console
    these programs work well on terminals. so they might work well with a conversion program.
    you say she cant use the phone, can she not use a TTY on the phone. and an operator will speak the words, and reverse, take the speakers vords and replace them to TTY for your wife. My g/f's uncle used such a service to make telephone calls to his family members and he was deaf.
    check here for tty's
    http://www.unitedtty.com/
    I know they say "for the deaf" only, but if she had a braille tty keypad, then she would prolly be able to use it.

I do not know of any MSN messengers for those who are deaf, but i do know of ICQ's that are console only, but they are for the *nix OS's. Not sure of any console chat clients for windows.

VR

Yeah, I received that update from Microsoft as well, however, I got it when I was appearing offline on MSN, which is weird (a message just popped up in a instant messaging window). Anyways, I have W95 and I went to update my MSN 4.6 to 5.o but when I click on the download link, it just opens up another Explorer window and has a Quicktime type movie thing that installs with the address bar showing a page ending in setup95.exe

However, nowhere does the new MSN setup and it just stops after the download and my MSN still shows it is 4.6. What should I do?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by VR@Aug 28 2003, 11:43 PM
    However, nowhere does the new MSN setup and it just stops after the download and my MSN still shows it is 4.6. What should I do?
    if the file downloaded, you have to find where it was stored and install it. look for the setup.exe file that downlaoded and double click on it to install it.

I tried this by going to Start-->Find---> setup95.exe and setup.exe but none of the appropriate files show up.

Super Moderator

ok. you will have to most likely download it again, this time, make sure to save it to a folder. you might want to start by making a NEW Folder on your C: drive,c alling it DOWNLOADS, and always download and save your files to this folder. it will make things easier.
    go to the site, find the file you want, click on it, save to C:\Downloads
    then when it is finished, go to the C:\Downloads folder, and double click on it to start the installation

ralphi_d

Like I said in another post, MSN will shut its network to older MSN and Windows messenger on October 15th.

I don't really care, but what I care most is that they will shut it for all other IM programs like Trillian, unless Cerullean (who develop Trillian) will contact Microsoft. Which I think means PAY Microsoft.

As of today, Cerullean did not do such thing.

So, if like me you cannot upgrade, you'll have to switch IM, unless an agreement is found.