Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Popup Stopper

nikOteen

Hey my favorite popup-stopper by panicware (www.popupstopper.net) has popups in its new free version. It's annoying, big, yellow, makes noise, it sucks!

I still have 2.9, the final best version that does its job. Looked everywhere for it. Let me know if you put it on oldversion, so I can take it off my site ok.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/c/acidgold/PopUp...Stopper2.9.exe@

take off the @ at the end I can't host exe files.

DIE POPUPS :lol:

Mr. Reaper

If you look down the page, I also posted suggesting they should have Panicware Pop-up Stopper here, because the new version seems to intentionally be annoying to try to get the user to upgrade to the paid version.

Anyway, I found another totally free pop-up stopper that works as well as Panicware... and it's tiny (only 67k)
    Give it a try.

http://www.gasanov.net/PopOops.htm

Super Moderator

also, a "FREE" way to stop pop-ups is disable java scripting with your browser. that is a simple way to stop any pop ups. Since pop-ups rely on scripting to be enabled. So by making the browser not use scripting, you will stop any pop-ups, with out wasting disk space, RAM, and resources.

Mr. Reaper

Diabling javascript just to get rid of popups is really not a good solution. That's like disconnecting your phone so that you will not have to get calls from telemarketers. You will also miss a lot of other phone calls you might have wanted to get.

This is some page a search turned up that lists a few examples of content that requires javascript:

http://www.holovaty.com/blog/archive/2002/07/22/1314

These small popup stopper programs don't hog enough system resources or hard drive space to really matter at all... escpecially a tiny one like PoopOops. And you can easily turn it on or off by clicking the icon in the taskbar... If you were using the methind of disabling javascript, you'd have to go into the security settings of Internet Explorer (if that's what you use to browse).

Well, the earlier versions of PanicWare were pretty nice... And since probably 90% of people have (want to have?) javascript enabled, a popup stoper is a pretty good solution.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mr. Reaper@Sep 3 2003, 07:01 PM
    Diabling javascript just to get rid of popups is really not a good solution. That's like disconnecting your phone so that you will not have to get calls from telemarketers. You will also miss a lot of other phone calls you might have wanted to get.

This is some page a search turned up that lists a few examples of content that requires javascript:

http://www.holovaty.com/blog/archive/2002/07/22/1314

These small popup stopper programs don't hog enough system resources or hard drive space to really matter at all... escpecially a tiny one like PoopOops. And you can easily turn it on or off by clicking the icon in the taskbar... If you were using the methind of disabling javascript, you'd have to go into the security settings of Internet Explorer (if that's what you use to browse).

Well, the earlier versions of PanicWare were pretty nice... And since probably 90% of people have (want to have?) javascript enabled, a popup stoper is a pretty good solution.
    The link you produced to show, what one might be missing, really lacks any sites of interest to me. I dont see any BIG loss by not being able to view these listed sites. by permitting javascripting your also permitting some sites to run maclicious code - if its not a popup blocker, and a URL redirector, or homepage hijackers or that useless DTHML javascripting, as well as being a snoop, Since javascript can retrieve information about you, such as your last site visited (refer), which web plug-ins you have installed. Javascript also is used to resize your window, rotate banners, locks your mouse, and doesnt permit the Right Button Clicks. you might end up suffering from those. One sure way of having a web browser crash is executing javascripting on it that has bene poorly written. But i guess to solve the hijacking problem, and URL redirecting, would be install another program.

The benefits of using a web browser without javascript, for me, is greater then the need to run a browser with javascripting. If one site requires javascripting to work, to me its not always worth visiting. Since i use alot of text ONLY browsers. The web designer should build a site that can also be viewed by those browsers, and not everyone on the net uses full blown browsers, such as those who use braille readers, and those only are interested in the content of a page. I should not be forced to use those useless additions, such as javascripting, or Active X, just to view a page. thats another thing you can disable is the active X controls. this way you dont have to look at all that bandwidth & time wasting FLASH, etc.

It also depends on what you use the net for. If your using it for learning and researching. There would be no real need for Animation, Shockwave, etc. Since your only afte rthe content. But if your using the Net for entertainment, then maybe you will want to sit and wait for all that flash and awe.

As far as those pop-ups blockers not using alot of resources, that maybe be true on the suirface. But since alot of people also run a Anti-virus product, and more so now - a firewall, some sort of instant message app, a web browser. Thats where it starts adding up. The less you have running, the more RAM your save for the programs. Clicking on them and shutting them down, doesn't necessarily mean you have removed the program from RAM. as some programs stay in RAM, and windows doesnt remove them properly, I guess the next soltuion is then to run a RAM flushing program, to clear out old programs from ram. So now thats another program. Also, with the progam that block ads, would have to be updated as technology and new scripts are written, but simply block the source - disabling javascript, will keep you ahead of the game. You wont have to keep updating the pop-up blockers to stay current.

I dont know if 90% of people WANT javascript enabled. If you consider the amount of people using text-only browsers, those using braille readers, those accessing the net with web-tv, older systems, like old macs, Quadra's etc. Not everyone has an Windows Xp, Dual Xeon 3Ghz processor, or a Dual 64bit Processor G5, some have old 486 class systems running Windows 3.X, then those with old i586 machines in the 200Mhz range. and those using new forms of technology, like web aware PDA's, - that doesnt work on those sites, unless they are XUL, or XMLs. I would guess more people are using older systems then new ones. Not everyone has ram to waste either.

There are others way to present certain things that used to be handled via javasrcipting
    with alternatives, such as php, SSI.
    I agree pop-ups should be blocked. But i do not see a reason to using a program to do this when your browser is the enabling the pop-ups in the first place.
    By placing a shortcut to Inetcpl.cpl on your Quick Launch taskbar (windows users), you can have one click access to the Internet Explorer's - Internet Properties to enable/disable javscripting, which I find it rarely that i ever had to re enable it.

But the final decision is left to the individual user. If they think they need javascripting, and want to have the option to enable/disable it, they can do it manually, or they can leave it up to a program to handle it.

Just a quick comment before I duck my head ;-)

A popup stopper that worked well for me version mkii freeware available somewhere around here freesurfer
    I think they latest version might have gone shareware

I am using someone else's 'puter and can get away with loading app's on it which are easier to close down rather remebering all the settings to change

Though I will implement all the good advice above (well at least try it out ) on my own computer

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow@Sep 4 2003, 05:12 AM
    Just a quick comment before I duck my head ;-)

Though I will implement all the good advice above (well at least try it out ) on my own computer
    LOL no need to duck your head!
    I'm only saying that its nice to have the control on your computer to disable pop-ups, without sticking all your control in to a program, which might end up having, YET unknown, spyware tucked into it. the less apps you have controlling your system, the more you learn, the more power you have in deciding what goes on in your computer.
    its all about the options, if you are not one who wants to learn computers, go ahead use a program to do this for you. lots of people just want to use a compter, and aren't interested in actually learnign how they work, which is understandable. not everyone does their own car repairs either.
    But i'm just saying you have another option, then letting someone else decide.