Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mardus

Well, if anything, then a good lightweight alternative to msn messenger is any old version of AIM (for example the last available of the 1.x versions, which is supposed to be the most stable from the 1.x branch, if you want to follow the rule of having lightweight, but stable programs), because I can still use Netscape AOL Instant Messenger 1.6N (bundled with Netscape 4.08); Although without all the stuff that's been added in the interim.

AOL also has a lightweight, but modern AIM 2.x-something available from FTP for those who have older machines and want a modern lightweight version (just sports a better look and better client-side options).

As for Yahoo!Messenger, I couldn't use 3, 3.5 and 4.1, because they are no longer supported by Yahoo! and a 5.6 (or whatever later newest) version is offered to download.

Mardus

Oh drat, HTML not supported.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mardus@Sep 10 2003, 05:02 PM
    Well, if anything, then a good lightweight alternative to msn messenger is any old version of AIM (for example the last available of the 1.x versions, which is supposed to be the most stable from the 1.x branch, if you want to follow the rule of having lightweight, but stable programs), because I can still use Netscape AOL Instant Messenger 1.6N (bundled with Netscape 4.08)
    or you can use the AOL Web-based Java client, thats really lightweight

guest_ralphi_d

Easy meesage has now announced that it will be able to use the new MSN protocol, so maybe there is hope for others too