Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Music Software

Tom B

I am looking for software to put cassette tapes on cd/ my only problem is I
    have a pentium one 133 megahertz 64 ram computer with cd burner. Do you know a software that will work. tenorclef2002@yahoo.com

LeGen_nmo

Look for an early version of musicmatch. But be aware. PI-133 w/64 megs will be an agonizingly slow for digitizing music. It may not be able to do it at any decent sampling rate. Got a friend with something faster?

Grandma (moderator)

You can use Audiotools from http://www.unrelatedinventions.com/Audiotools/ . The limitation in this shareware is recording in 10 minutes. Then you have to restart the program. Then you can improve the recording with an old version of Cool Edit. The save function in this version 1.53 don't expire after 30 days as in the new test versions. I have today mailed a copy of this version (1.53) to oldversion.com. Good luck.

Super Moderator

doing alittle past post answerin.

Originally posted by LeGen_nmo@Nov 10 2002, 01:50 PM
    Look for an early version of musicmatch.* But be aware. PI-133 w/64 megs will be an agonizingly slow for digitizing music.* It may not be able to do it at any decent sampling rate.* Got a friend with something faster?
    Not true, he doesnt imply he wants to compress to a lossy/lossless format, he states he wants to burn them to a cd (CDDA Format - wav, aiff), there is no problem since he can only record music as fast as it is playing live into his PC, it will not be slow. it will be fine. 133Mhz is very capable of handling live input. a 66mhz with 16 megs of ram is also very much up to the task. An old SB 32 card works well for this. I used to do live recording with a 66Dx2 mhz 16meg Ram system years ago for bands. it was up to the task then. and will surely be up to the task today. Since the iput will be analog, and the end result will be digitized to wav or aiff format. sampling rate will be 44.1Khz, (thats thousand herts, the pc is 133Megahertz).

For simple recording of music there exists many programs for this, but you dont want a bloated SAW/DAW with a bunch of extras not needed.

As Therese pointed out, an old free verison of CoolEdit will do fine. there is a version i have - prolly the 1.54, that also works fine from a CD. so it doesnt need installed either. but best if is. I infact used Cooledit v1.54 and later CoolEdit 96 on a 133 with 80megs ram.

The only hindrance to such a system setup would be disk space. Since you will need about 10 megs per minute of digitial music. Simply put, 60 minutes would be about 600 megs.

You might want to be sure to demagnitize the playback heads on the Cassette desk, and apply any Dolby NR that is on the Deck. i usually used Dolby "C", never did get a desk with Doby "S". Run the shortest cables possible from the Deck to the PC. if near any power cords be sure to run then across the power cords at a right angle. this way the power cord doesn't induce 60hz hum. +

If using the Cooledit, when no signal load, record about 10 seconds of silence, this will be your noise floor, which you can later apply - if necessary to the recorded signal. most PC's have some noise, and some have alot of noise. so you dont want to be including this into the music signal.
    Record a sample - about 30 seconds, test to make sure the volume is good enough for you. look for any levels that cross the 0dB, you wont want this, as anything past the 0dB meter will be clipping. I perfer to keep my levels to -1.62dB, this gives a peak level of 83%. So if you normalize, you might want to normalize to 82%. Now this is just my option i perfer, you might want to go to 92% or higher. For me -1.62dB is enough.

Now if you plan to convert this to a compressed format, such as mp3, ogg, aac, THEN, you will experience a super slow down, expect on average about 5-8 minutes to encode each song for a mp3, expect about 40 minutes for oggs - (this might be have changed with version 1.0 release. i had not used v1.0 on an old system yet.)
    but if you just plan to preserve your tapes , Lps to CD, i dont see no problem, except for disk space. If you got a spare HD, use it to store the wav files.