Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Which antivirus program do you use?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norton

15 65.22%
  • Mac afee

8 34.78%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    dukesxm

Default Antivirus Programs

I am interested to hear your comments?

Super Moderator

I have not had an anti-virus program installed on my computers for years. Since running so many OS's, that don't suffer from the virus plagues as do the Microsoft products, but I do use the DOS versions of both, BitDefender & F-Prot, on a bootable CD-ROM for scanning user systems. They can also be used on a bootable floppy if needed.
    The larger AVP just seem be suites these days, and are not really necessary. When you see the size of Nortons - 25meg programs or more, for scanning virii. When F-Prot is less the 2.5megs, and does the same thing.

Arthur

I used Norton 2002 and PCCillin 2000 and both seemed good to me.

I currently use Norton 2002, Zone Alarm Pro 4.0 on Windows XP. I run AdAware once in a while too. Once you have the settings in place, they work great together...

Mart

If you want something that's freeware, relatively lightweight and for Windows and for home and small office use, then you can get Grisoft AVG Free Edition, which actually works fine, but has less options than what you have to pay for. Even virus definition updates are free (I don't know for how long, but I have had these programs installed for long enough). The major version offered is a figure lesser than what the site ( http://www.grisoft.com ) offers for pay.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mart@Sep 10 2003, 05:09 PM
    If you want something that's freeware, relatively lightweight and for Windows and for home and small office use, then you can get Grisoft AVG Free Edition, which actually works fine, but has less options than what you have to pay for. Even virus definition updates are free (I don't know for how long, but I have had these programs installed for long enough). The major version offered is a figure lesser than what the site ( http://www.grisoft.com ) offers for pay.
    Thanks,
    note: Grisoft AVG Free Edition, is 6megs, requires filling out a small registration form before downloading.

Free and Shareware Anti-Virus programs,
    • F-Prot Free for DOS users and shareware versions available.
    • Little Memory Scanner FREE, is a very basic virus-scanner which will quickly help you to identify viruses, worms, tojans and other malware that has become installed on your computer.
    • EmC - anti-Spam and anti-virus of email for (Win/95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP), 2.7megs
    • AntiVir Personal Edition, FREE 3.8megs.
    • Avast!, 6.5megs, Home Edition free of charge. requires registration.
    • ANTIDOTE for PC Viruses , comes in 2 flavors, a floppy sized and 3.5meg download.
    • HandyBits VirusScan Integrator, 1.5megs, Version 5.5 Free of charge for personal use.
    • Bootminder, 109kb, Protection against boot-virusus.
    • Sentinel 133kb. will help you pinpoint and terminate viruses or trojans
    • Bitdefender Offers several products, from ICQ, MSN Yahoo file scanners and more.
    • MicroWorld's Free Antivirus Toolkit Utility Includes Viral removal toolkits, will check for illegal dialers running in memory,
    • SOLO antivirus Shareware, Contains System integrity Checker to block fast spreading Internet Worms. It cleans all kinds of e-mail, Internet, boot sector, partition table, file macro and script viruses.
    • Xramp Shareware, Detects and cleans viruses in the thread or process area in memory and even tracks back the location of virus source.
    • AnVir Virus Destroyer is a powerful tool for Windows that protects computers against viruses and manages running processes and startup programs.
    • Fire Anti-Virus Kit FREE, Fire provides complete cure for all kinds of viruses [52,470 viruses] including wide spread viruses like Klez worm and its variants, BadTrans.B worm, Nimda worm, SirCam worm, Win32/Magistr, Hybris aka Hahaha worm, I-Worm/MTX, Win32/MTX, Kak Worm, WYX aka PollyBoot virus, VBS/LoveLetter, Win32/FunLove, Win32/Kriz, I-Worm/Navidad, Anna virus aka VBS/SST, I-Worm/APost, Aliz worm, I-Worm/Goner, etc.
    • vCatch FREE &Shareware versions, is a fast anti-virus application that also recognizes Trojans and worms.
    • Panda Active Scan FREE ONLINE scanner
    • Housecall Free Online Scan
    • eSafe Desktop FREE, including all virus table updates, is available to home users free of charge.
    • ClamAV FREE
      Clam AntiVirus is a GPL anti-virus toolkit for UNIX.
    • Various Kaspersky Antivirus apps links to previous posting on the board.

One Year Trial
    *Exclusive offer for Microsoft customers. Free 12-month software subscription to CA's eTrust EZ Armor Antivirus and Firewall security suite valid for new users only. Limit 1 per household. Not to be combined with any other offer. Customers may renew subscription after first year at current renewal rate. Free software offer expires 6/30/04.

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

CALM

W98 computer: I used to use CAI when it was free and it worked well and easy to use. Then bought Mcafee and it was OK too. It got old and now I use free Grisoft. Seems OK but I need to check for updates.

WXP computer: Norton came with this computer and the day after trial period expired, Blaster worm came out and I got it. (believe it or not- this is my first virus ) So got renewal of Norton for cheap -like 13.00 online. It is easy to check for updates and seems OK (although for the longest time it couldnt FIND blaster worm on the computer and it WAS here but isolated by Zonealarm) Finally found the damn thing ( it reappeared after first removal! yes I used MS patch) and got rid of it. Am using free Pro trial (very complicated) that expires tomorrow and then will go back to regular NAV. I am not a big fan of Norton as the N2002 Utilities disc REALLY SCREWED UP my W98 computer and was almost IMPOSSIBLE to uninstall.
    The bottom line is price as they all seem to work after a fashion.
    YMMV
    THANKS LOCUSTFURNACE for posting all the AV sites. I was gonna suggest that you put them at the top with the other PINNED threads!

ed. to add that I NEVER use OE so feel a little secure on that front. Only NS4.0 Messenger!

CALM

Hey Goslow-- arent all windows users MS customers? Is that the same co. as CAI?
    Anything that requires IE doesnt fly around here. What a pain when I want to download critical updates (no I dont hate Bill Gates, not at all. I just hate IE&#33

aem4162

null vote...i use grisoft avg...no bloatware and it's free

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM+Dec 3 2003, 01:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CALM @ Dec 3 2003, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hey Goslow-- arent all windows users MS customers? Is that the same co. as CAI?
    Anything that requires IE doesnt fly around here. What a pain when I want to download critical updates (no I dont hate Bill Gates, not at all. I just hate IE&#33[/b]

Wait til ya read this little spot of info, its actually frightening if ya think how many times Windows crashes. and how many times have you upgraded to find out thing no longer work?
    <!--QuoteBegin--http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=10&u=/ap/20031201/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_cars
    @ yahoonews
    We&#39;d like to have one of our operating systems in every car on Earth,said Dick Brass, vice-president of Microsoft&#39;s automotive business unit. Cars with the Microsoft software will speak up when it&#39;s time for an oil change. They&#39;ll warn drivers about wrecks on the road ahead and scout alternative routes. They&#39;ll pay freeway tolls automatically. The software running their brakes will upgrade itself wirelessly.[/quote]

I would NOT want Windows controlling my brakes. I guess this would be a ploy to make ya pay for more stuff, since, MS Brakes 2.1BETA could stop ya sooner, if you paid for the MS Plus Pack. Have friends using your car? that will be an extra license fee, as Microsoft will ONLY stop the car with 1 person; the driver, inside it. and rem kids, its beta software, so there is no guarantee you car will even stop.
    What happens if you sale you car? can you transfer the MS license over? If you buy a car without the software, will it still work? If battery goes dead, do the brakes also go with it?
    when you flip the turn singals on, will you hear repeatedly "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO TURN LEFT?" If you drop a new engine into the vehicle, will you have to call for a new Software license, or will the system even work. LOL
    Just imagine if you get a virus in that...
    read the whole story here.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../microsoft_cars