Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Which antivirus program do you use?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norton

15 65.22%
  • Mac afee

8 34.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Originally posted by CALM+Dec 3 2003, 01:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CALM @ Dec 3 2003, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hey Goslow-- arent all windows users MS customers?[/b]
    Well I havnt read the fine print but one of the recent posters in O.V forum might not be looked on too favourably.
    Originally posted by -CALM@Dec 3 2003, 01:51 PM
    Is that the same co. as CAI?
    Anything that requires IE doesnt fly around here. What a pain when I want to download critical updates :( (no I dont hate Bill Gates, not at all. I just hate IE&#33;)
    Same company different letterhead I&#39;ll send you something for the missing eye ;)

B.T.W. it was not a recomendation just information
    though it has scored reasonably highly in tests I&#39;d seen previously as did the old free innoculate anti-virus which I did use until they got swallowed up and I guess their old mission statement about saving the world by suppling free anti-virus software which should have been supplied by the companies that put out O.S&#39;s full of holes was kind of undigestible in their new corporate structure and maybe this trial is what finally passed out &#33; (my how the worm turns)
    I think AVG users have been very lucky so far to keep it free.
    You could try Avast on XP .I use it on 98 as an on demand scanner would like it as resident but had a few problems, its supposedly better on XP , also it will check to its server for updates if you like that sort of function.
    <!--QuoteBegin--locustfurnace
    @Dec 3 2003, 05:19 PM
    I would NOT want Windows controlling my brakes. [/quote]locustfurnace if your brakes fail you might need to throw out a third party anchor or just slow down cant be any worse than the concept of tolls on a freeway

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow@Dec 4 2003, 08:32 AM
    cant be any worse than the concept of tolls on a freeway
    Freeways dont tamper with my braking system. You really think they are like comparing apples to apples?
    I dont mean controlling as in dictating software - cuz i would prefer an alternative. I mean i dont want software period, controlling my brakes, i am happy with hydraulic fluids and a brake pedal.

yes, using an anchor might be the way to get around the MS Braking System Beta2, Service Pack 3.00.4a if someone sends an email to my braking software with a virus payload.

Goslow unplugged

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Dec 4 2003, 08:18 AM
    Freeways dont tamper with my braking system. You really think they are like comparing apples to apples?
    Not the same but like death & taxes.
    I&#39;m actually looking foward to the day when I can sleep & my car will drive me to <s>the dark satanic mill</s> work in the morning.
    I think as in toll roads you will be limited on where you can drive your human reaction time(challenged&#33;)vehicle.
    I am already required to trust in software if I fly ,train,... live next to a nuclear ... in the work enviroment alarms ,controlled valves ,machinery - The amount of ... that is added to the food I eat,medicines,water.
    Also perhaps even beta brakes would be more predictable than some of the driving I have witnessed.
    And if all else fails at least we wont have to search too hard for old versions as there are a couple attached to the ends of our legs.

--------------------------------------------
    BIG
    BLUE If you don&#39;t like those kinds of thrills wait until the software is "out of" beta.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow unplugged@Dec 5 2003, 04:56 AM
    I am already required to trust in software if I fly ,train,... live next to a nuclear ... in the work enviroment alarms ,controlled valves ,machinery...
    I dont object to software controlling things. I just object to Microsoft being THAT company that makes the software i use for my brakes.
    There is alot of software companys that make very reliable software, IBM is still one of them. their OS/2 is used to control the ATM cash machines. (not sure if the eCommStations&#39; version are used in ATM&#39;s.) I have a friend that makes custom ISA/PCI cards which end up in robotics that use OS/2 as well. I have never had problems running OS/2 Warp 4, which could run DOS apps, native OS/2 apps and many MS-Windows apps. Too bad MS & IBM split, maybe if they stuck together, Windows would have become a better OS.

CALM

MAJOR PROBLEM with Norton AGAIN on new computer
    It doesnt seem to be working and I have error messages for email scanning and AutoProtect error. AND I CANT CHANGE THE SETTINGS. Cant use the defaults or change any setting. I have gone all over their website and there is nothing there but q and a and when I follow the steps IT DOESNT WORK. And IT WONT UNINSTALL&#33;
    That is my Big Gripe&#33;
    IT WONT UNINSTALL&#33;
    I hate this. Had this happen on W98 puter and had to reformat it to get rid of Norton.
    Yes, I can call and PAY them to answer my questions but it will be a cold day in H#77 when I give them more money. I have done everything short of editing my registry and I wont do that with their instructions.
    NORTON SUCKS&#33;

Super Moderator

Did you install and reboot which is usually the procedure for these monster apps. After you rebooted, where you able to uninstall it? if not, then you could disable the program from loading at boot time, which would disable the program, as it most likely will not uninstall while it is currently in use.
    So you will want to disable it from loading via the START / RUN / msconfig /startup
    then reboot the computer, and try to uninstall it.

guest_CALM

did that, but will try again...
    ...tomorrow
    thanks,chris

gengar56

I use AVG Anti-Virus (free edition).

TheBulbasaurfreak

I use Norton.

Salopette

There is eaven a free online virus scan:

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...usecall_pre.php