Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Some programs of interest here :http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html

I downloaded :
    MoveIt v1.1 21,363 bytes
    " Move and register programs to another drive!!! "

Havent used it as yet but looked interesting has any one had any experience with it . Perhaps the question should be why would you want to ,maybe uninstalling reinstalling is less fraught with danger

UNRELATED TO ABOVE SITE
    While your at it I want a free !! harddisk imager that works!!! (NO not linux)and does it from windows lol (lots of luck)
    Nearest I could find was some shareware looks like it comes from h34r: Dodgy Brothers http://www.synergix.com/products/index.html $2000 for a $100 application !!!! I could be wrong they maybe highly reputable and have no limitations on their shareware it would help if they said so.

I have Win98SE

EDIT:
    Originally posted by Me
    it would help if they said so.
    actually they do but you have to tell the usuall net lies & supply a disposable email address to get it !!
    Anyway its a DOS prog. (looks like its got good help) I've thrown it into the hat with the others, thanks Locustfurance, & will pick 1

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow+Sep 11 2003, 12:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ Sep 11 2003, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Some programs of interest here :http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html
    [/b]

I been there, and been emailing the author about some of the apps on there. His site really is not competition in so much as it is more of a "No Longer Developed Programs" site, while OV is more a older version of files, dead or still alive.

<!--QuoteBegin--Goslow
    @Sep 11 2003, 12:56 PM
    While your at it I want a free &#33;&#33; harddisk imager that works&#33;&#33;&#33; [/quote]
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

Image for Windows is a Win32 based backup and restore utility that creates a snapshot of an entire partition or volume to a set of files to a local or network drive, or directly to most CD-R/RW or DVD+RW/+R/-R/-RW drives. If something should ever happen to that partition or volume, you&#39;ll be able to simply restore the snapshot image.
    from the web sites page comes that quote&#33;

It is not free, its shareware I&#39;m guessing, I downloaded it before, never got around to testing it out yet, I just use Partimage.org tools, but its Unix based. I will keep looking for a FREE imaging softwarew that is neither Costly or a *Nix based, and windows based. The above site also offers their product in DOS, but i see you want Windows only.

another couple
    InstantRecovery - not free
    http://www.no-panic.com/recovery/irecover.html
    DiskTools ImageMaker
    http://www.disk-tools.com/imagemaker.htm The FREE ImageMaker 1.1 does not support image compression. This feature is available in a commercial version of ImageMaker, ImageMaker 1.2. Additionally, the image encryption feature will be added in the next version, 1.3, due to be released in July 2003.

I do believe this one IS FREE, but its DOS based.
    Partition Saving
    http://perso.club-internet.fr/guiboure/en/...ndex_frame.html

Thanks that will keep me busy for a while and I thought google found everything lol
    Although windows is my preference what I really want is one that works reliably and if DOS is what it takes Dos it will have to be

p.s. actually I used to use http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/proxy.htm but this link seems dead now maybe google didnt like the competition &#33;

edit: p.p.s. Forgot to say I like the quote effort :-)
    aarrrggghh I have to go sailing to clear the brain B)
    Yep a little boast

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow+Sep 11 2003, 08:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ Sep 11 2003, 08:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I really want is one that works reliably and if DOS is what it takes Dos it will have to be
    [/b]

The problem with using a Windows partitoning backup app (if there is any such one) is that you can not backup the drivers on windows, while your running Windows, even Nortons Ghost reboot&#39;s into DOS to perform this action. Though you do install Ghost in Windows, it does reboot to DOS for carrying out its task.

I like Partimage.org cloning tools. though it is a UNIX tool. it works great, and works from a bootable-CD. I like to delete my windows partition once a month, and then replace it with a good backup. this rids excess, tmp files, no longer used apps, and speeds computer back up to first installation freshness&#33;
    It is not all too dificult to use. and very reliable, I have been using it for a long while now.

Originally posted by -Goslow@Sep 11 2003, 08:46 PM
    I really want is one that works reliably and if DOS is what it takes Dos it will have to be
    DOS is reliable. working with dos for a long time, and I can not rem it ever having had crashed on me. I built several Music Jukebox&#39;s with DOS as the OS. I do plan to test out the cloning tools for DOS shortly. So i can use it for other peoples systems, this way I dont always have to be the one to restore their system, since they can not use the UNIX tools.

<!--QuoteBegin--Goslow
    @Sep 11 2003, 08:46 PM
    edit: p.p.s. Forgot to say I like the quote effort :-) [/quote]
    thanks, it doesnt work to well, guess will stick to the italics for now.

updated: I just ran both these mentioned programs to see how they worked,

The ImageMaker1.1, it appears very easy to run. the problem i first noticed about it, is that is requires WINDOWS to be installed, even to restore your image. not good, because if Windows is corrupt.... You can not restore your image... Not much better then say Windows Backup. This program has some benefits in that making a backup of your system is faster this way then using a file backup program. ANother is if you have several computers, all with the same hardware. But for disaster recovery, when the OS no longer boots. This would be good ONLY after you reinstalled the OS.

I also tried out the DOS Savepart program. it is small, so can fit on a floppy. it runs from DOS. So it can be used to recover a system that the OS won&#39;t load. If backing up a large disk, it can ignore empty clusters, so makes for a faster image creation, and smaller image. it supports compression, so the image can be compressed, it can also split the size of the image to any defined size, So you can save the parts to a CD, or a ZIP drive. It very simple to run. I loaded it, and copied a part in less then 5 minutes, from downloading the program to saving partition to an image. thats not the time it took to actually save an image, im just saying how long it took to get the program up and running

REM

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Sep 11 2003, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Sep 11 2003, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Goslow@Sep 11 2003, 12:56 PM
    I been there, and been emailing the author about some of the apps on there. His site really is not competition in so much as it is more of a "No Longer Developed Programs" site, while OV is more a older version of files, dead or still alive.

[/b][/quote]

I am a bit perplexed by your usage of "competition." This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I&#39;ve seen you use this description.

The site listed is not "competing" with anyone or anything.

It is a simple niche site that specializes in archiving the last freeware versions of programs that went commercial or in which development ceased.

I have a 100 meg account and it is full. I&#39;m upping to 1000 megs at the end of the month when renewal comes due. This is not to be interpretted in any way as competition. It is simply a matter of making more niche programs available to the public. As simple as that. For the greater good of all... not for "competition" in any shape, form, or fashion.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by REM+Feb 16 2004, 11:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REM @ Feb 16 2004, 11:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -locustfurnace@Sep 11 2003, 01:59 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Goslow
    @Sep 11 2003, 12:56 PM

I am a bit perplexed by your usage of "competition." This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I&#39;ve seen you use this description.

The site listed is not "competing" with anyone or anything.

[/b][/quote]
    Are you quoting what i said and getting confused on who said what? I did not say he is competition. What you said is exactly the same thing i did.
    Besides, competition does not hurt anyone, and usually makes things better overall.

REM

[[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Are you quoting what i said and getting confused on who said what? I did not say he is competition. What you said is exactly the same thing i did.
    Besides, competition does not hurt anyone, and usually makes things better overall.

No, I see who said what, I simply included the link to which you were referring. Why insinuate that I am confused in who said what? You know what you said, as does anyone else who read the thread. You go on to prove you know what&#39;s what.

And yes, you said competition, to which I replied that I&#39;m not competing with anyone or anything... I have a simple niche and try to do it well.

To which you say, "Besides, competition does not hurt anyone, and usually makes things better overall."

You cannot compete with someone who is not competing. Particularily when it is apples and oranges. Your interest is one thing and mine is something else. I don&#39;t think the descriptor "competition" is correct or appropiate. Do you see? If you _want_ to compete you must find a competitive site to compete with. Otherwise you&#39;re frankly looking a bit silly.

On another note, I looked forward to ImageMaker1.1, but it appears it is still shareware

Aside of SavePart, does anyone know of any freeware image programs?

Originally posted by REM+ Feb 16 2004, 11:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REM @ Feb 16 2004, 11:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I am a bit perplexed by your usage of "competition."[/b]
    It was I who introduced "competition" in the thread title (my humor&#33;&#33;&#33;)
    Besides they say size doesnt matter but I&#39;m really happy to see your able to grow your site,any friend of freeware is a friend of mine & I look forward to seeing the expanded site.

Have I mentioned I like freeware <!--QuoteBegin--REM
    @ Feb 16 2004, 11:45 AM
    This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I&#39;ve seen you use this description.[/quote]I also like conspiracy theories could you p.m. me the links ;)

Super Moderator

Originally posted by REM+Feb 17 2004, 03:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REM @ Feb 17 2004, 03:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>On another note, I looked forward to ImageMaker1.1, but it appears it is still shareware
    [/b]
    [*]ImageMaker Free 1.1 (495kbs) (FREEWARE)

<!--QuoteBegin--REM
    @Feb 17 2004, 03:57 AM
    And yes, you said competition, to which I replied that I&#39;m not competing with anyone or anything... I have a simple niche and try to do it well.
    .....Your interest is one thing and mine is something else. I don&#39;t think the descriptor "competition" is correct or appropiate.
    [/quote]

I never said your site was "competition", The title of this thread says "whos afraid of alittle competition", in which i replied, that your site is not competition; I made use of the word since it was posted in the threads title, correcting the original poster. I have been on your site before and I have emailed you in the past.

I was not insinuating you were confused, I was asking a question. For clarification, as many people in the past have accidently quoted the wrong post, which would misrepresent what they were then replying to.

My comment that &#39;competition does not hurt anyone&#39; was not directed at your comments, or your site or this site, I was stating a fact. I was saying that IF there were a competing site, its not something to be &#39;afraid of&#39; and is nothing at all to be concerned with. This site is not generating money for the owners, nor do they need to protect their &#39;territory.&#39;
    • Partimage (FREEWARE)
      is a Linux/UNIX utility which saves partitions in many formats to an image file. The image file can be compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk space, and split into multiple files to be copied on removable floppies (ZIP for example), ... Partitions can be saved across the network since version 0.6.0.
      Partition Image will only copy data from the used portions of the partition. For speed and efficiency, free blocks are not written to the image file. This is unlike the &#39;dd&#39; command, which also copies empty blocks. Partition Image also works for large, very full partitions. For example, a full 1 GB partition can be compressed with gzip down to 400MB.
    • Diskman (Free for noncommercial use)
      is a suite of advanced programs designed to perform a variety of low level hard disk related tasks. Some of the features are; Quickly copy every file into image files for easy backup and later restore; Support for disk image files up to 2GB; Support for spanned image files up to 2TB
    • Image for Windows (SHAREWARE)
      Image for Windows is a Win32 based backup and restore utility that creates a snapshot of an entire partition or volume to a set of files to a local or network drive, or directly to most CD-R/RW or DVD+RW/+R/-R/-RW drives creating a bootable restore disc. If something should ever happen to that partition or volume, you&#39;ll be able to simply restore the snapshot image.
    • Image for DOS (SHAREWARE)
      Image is a DOS based backup and restore utility that creates a snapshot of an entire partition or volume to a set of files to a local or network drive, or directly to most ATAPI or ASPI accessible CD-R/RW or DVD+RW/+R/-R/-RW drives creating a bootable recovery CD/DVD. If something should ever happen to that partition or volume, you&#39;ll be able to simply restore the snapshot image.
    • GNU Parted (FREEWARE) UNIX OS Platform
      is a program for creating, destroying, resizing, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems on them. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganising disk usage, copying data between hard disks and disk imaging.
    • g4u - Harddisk Image Cloning for PCs (FREEWARE)
      g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. First is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server. Other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk; network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processed as a image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also supported.